How I Drove Traffic to My Kickstarter Campaign
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: How I Drove Traffic to My Kickstarter Campaign

by GregSilas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Jonathan08 wrote:Thanks for the great tips. Basically echos what has been said all over the place. But everyone makes it sound like it's just a plug and play formula.

I'm at the step of soft launch, so I'm trying to build an audience and gauge interest, I have the landing page setup, facebook page and signup form but I just don't know how to get people to see it. I might be biased but I think my idea is something everyone could use.

The 64 million dollar question is, how to actually build that audience. I don't want to pay for facebook promotion because it's all bullshit fake likes. I just wish their was a website where 1million+ people went that liked gadgets and tech. I don't want to go to blogs yet because I'm not ready to launch as I just have a landing page........but then again, maybe I should.

http://thecoin8oy.wix.com/piggyblox

Unfortunate reality is that unless your facebook page has something special and you expect it to catch on and go viral, spending money, or even not spending money, to drive people to your page is usually wasted. First, you may not get the conversions (not as many people will like your page), and more important, even if you get 1000 people liking your page, only 2%-5% of them will see each of your post because facebook throttles page posts. They force you to pay for them in order for them to be seen.

Something you can do instead is create a private group (closed group) within your page and get people to join that. Any closed group member gets all group posts

• bywapparel
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by bywapparel » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm

These are some good tips, thank you! Is interesting to read about the lack of success using press release services
    Check out my Kickstarter campaign for Build Your Wings Apparel @ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613435630/build-your-wings-apparel
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Unfortunate reality is that unless your facebook page has something special and you expect it to catch on and go viral, spending money, or even not spending money, to drive people to your page is usually wasted. First, you may not get the conversions (not as many people will like your page), and more important, even if you get 1000 people liking your page, only 2%-5% of them will see each of your post because facebook throttles page posts. They force you to pay for them in order for them to be seen.

Something you can do instead is create a private group (closed group) within your page and get people to join that. Any closed group member gets all group posts

Ok, that's great but again, it comes down to the whole chicken and egg, how do you get that traffic to begin with. It seems like the only way is to get blog attention, but then does that ruin your chances when it comes time for full launch? There's gotta be a way to do it. I know my product is definitely not viral quality but I still think it's a fun and cool idea that people could use.
    have we come to a time when you can't market anything unless it makes the splash page of gadget tabloids... :P In this crowdfunding age of 1 billion+1 products being pumped out, it's like if you make something that isn't "revolutionary" or "innovative" to the extreme, you're not even looked at. I feel at this point I could invent anti-gravity and it wouldn't be enough :P

all I want is feedback and I can't even seem to get that. WTF.

https://www.facebook.com/PiggyBlox?ref=hl
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Jonathan08 wrote:

Ok, that's great but again, it comes down to the whole chicken and egg, how do you get that traffic to begin with. It seems like the only way is to get blog attention, but then does that ruin your chances when it comes time for full launch? There's gotta be a way to do it. I know my product is definitely not viral quality but I still think it's a fun and cool idea that people could use.
    have we come to a time when you can't market anything unless it makes the splash page of gadget tabloids... :P In this crowdfunding age of 1 billion+1 products being pumped out, it's like if you make something that isn't "revolutionary" or "innovative" to the extreme, you're not even looked at. I feel at this point I could invent anti-gravity and it wouldn't be enough :P

all I want is feedback and I can't even seem to get that. WTF.

https://www.facebook.com/PiggyBlox?ref=hl

Well, a few things..

1) I've been working towards a very big campaign that will launch next month and I have many friends on facebook, backed hundreds of projects, etc etc. I still struggle to get feedback on individual elements of my campaign. I even make surveys using Facebook ads with starbucks gift card giveaways and from all this I'd get feedback from less than 10 people. SO don't feel bad...lots of noise out there

2) building an audience/followers: As I said, I don't put much stock into an FB page but you can move your twitter followers up by following other people, then unfollowing those that don't follow back. I do this slowly, consistently and make progress. Again though, twitter people get blasted with tweets by the hundreds or thousands daily so to get noticed ain't easy. I'd build you personal email lists of friends, acquaintance, media people you want to speak with, etc. Use Mailchimp from those lists. Maximize your facebook friends....look at suggested friends and go nuts clicking on people you've met, even once. Consider using Thunderclap for you campaign is you think you can get 100 facebook fans to sign up and allow Thunderclap to post 1-time on their feed. Do research into blogs and media that cover whatever it is you are working on. You need to drill down and find 20 to 50 key people then slowly build a relationship with them via twitter, FB or email until you need them to write about you. The Crowdcrux blog has tons, literally tons, of good intel on how to handle many aspects of your campaign (both pre-launch and during campaign). Post-mortems are also good to read and Sal's podcasts always uncover new info

greg
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Greg,

Really appreciate that advice. Helps a lot. Second paragraph is really on point. I'm wondering, with twitter and all those types of social media, like instagram, pinterest etc. do you think it's best to create an account under your product name or just run it from a previously set up account...... also, I'm wondering how to go about dealing with contacts you make outside of an opt-in list, do you need to get permission in writing from them to send them news and updates?

There's so much to do, I don't know where to start, you're suggesting twitter it seems like. Would I direct traffic to my landing page?
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Jonathan08 wrote:Greg,

Really appreciate that advice. Helps a lot. Second paragraph is really on point. I'm wondering, with twitter and all those types of social media, like instagram, pinterest etc. do you think it's best to create an account under your product name or just run it from a previously set up account...... also, I'm wondering how to go about dealing with contacts you make outside of an opt-in list, do you need to get permission in writing from them to send them news and updates?

There's so much to do, I don't know where to start, you're suggesting twitter it seems like. Would I direct traffic to my landing page?

I've found that a personal account works better than company account. A product-based account also makes sense. But unless you are putting out consistent content as a company, or as a product, it might fall apart. A lot of people have product-based accounts...that way they build around the product, not the company or person. I use my personal account as I can post anything I want on it, whereas product or company accounts are mo limited

Instagram grows the fastest but it is limited in what you can do...you can't link-out from Instagram but you can have a photo with a URL in it. Ultimately, you only have a certain amount of hours...so you have to pick and choose your poison, you can't do it all.

If your campaign goal is not too high, I would do 1 on 1 messaging with all your close friends and medium friends to sign them up on Thunderclap and to also ask them to back your project, even for small $ amount to get the ball rolling. Very important that they back you on day 1 or 2. So you need to email them several times to warn them of what you expect of them and the date of the launch. Keep an excel list of everyone and all the interactions you have when them. Same for media
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:17 pm

1. I agree 100% with building close friends audience and having them back you. I have started that but again, I will have no where near enough friends so far.

2. Excel spreadsheets, Check. I have them for friends and built a huge list of bloggers also. I've made about 20 solid blog contacts in my space so far. I'm almost thinking that this will HAVE to be the route I go to get my soft launch going. I'm just wondering if contacting bloggers for pre-launch (to gain interest) will hurt me? I'm not sure if they would re-run a feature when it comes time to launch.

Can you take a look at my landing page and give me some advice on it, or better yet, sign up...I'd appreciate that a lot. Thanks Greg. I've liked your facebook page and followed you on twitter, glanced at your website but I'll take a better look at it later. If you have a newsletter that I can sign up to also, please link me.

like you mentioned, this forum, Salvador and others has been really helpful. I've learned so much over the past few months researching all about KS+crowdfunding and marketing. I am just the designer/artist/engineer, I know how to design and create cool things, but I never really had a grasp on the mechanics of how to get it out there to the masses. It really is an art in itself, I would say almost more important than the actual product itself, 70/30 marketing/product. It's pretty daunting and discouraging at times, but super interesting also.

I get how I could create a product that would give you an orgasm every time you touched it and it would go viral and bring loads of traffic BUT my whole goal here is to try to get a non viral product out there to the masses, I'm basically trying to focus on these marketing steps vs. having a product bring the traffic in from it's exceptionalism....it has to be doable, There are many non viral products out there that I'm sure companies are doing very well selling.
    Last edited by Jonathan08 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Jonathan08 wrote:1. I agree 100% with building close friends audience and having them back you. I have started that but again, I will have no where near enough friends so far.

2. Excel spreadsheets, Check. I have them for friends and built a huge list of bloggers also. I've made about 20 solid blog contacts in my space so far. I'm almost thinking that this will HAVE to be the route I go to get my soft launch going. I'm just wondering if contacting bloggers for pre-launch (to gain interest) will hurt me? I'm not sure if they would re-run a feature when it comes time to launch.

Can you take a look at my landing page and give me some advice on it, or better yet, sign up...I'd appreciate that a lot. Thanks Greg.

like you mentioned, this forum, Salvador and others has been really helpful. I've learned so much over the past few months researching all about KS+crowdfunding and marketing. I am just the designer/artist/engineer, I know how to design and create cool things, but I never really had a grasp on the mechanics of how to get it out there to the masses. It really is an art in itself, I would say almost more important than the actual product itself, 70/30 marketing/product. It's pretty daunting and discouraging at times, but super interesting also.

I get how I could create a product that would give you an orgasm every time you touched it and it would go viral and bring loads of traffic BUT my whole goal here is to try to get a non viral product out there to the masses, I'm basically trying to focus on these marketing steps vs. having a product bring the traffic in from it's exceptionalism....it has to be doable, There are many non viral products out there that I'm sure companies are doing very well selling.

1) you didn't connect the link in your signature in this forum, I have to cut and paste

2) your landing page isn't bad but text is small and hard to read. I'd make it bigger, bolder and simpler

3) email: put input field on landing page, not separate page and I don't see why you are asking people to decide what they will pledge? You haven't given them the story...that comes when they see your entire Kickstarter page
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Lol. Well, I'm actually trying to figure out a way to determine if people will actually back the campaign when I launch, that's why I set that up, but yes, you're right, I thought of that, how is anyone actually going to know enough about the product in the first place. Lol. Like I mentioned, I'm a newbie at this. Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to work on some of those points. Thank You.
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:27 pm

@ Greg,

Wow, just checked out thunderclap, I had it on my list but never got around to actually looking at it. But wow, I posted above about how it would be nice to have a website where you could just post your campaign pre-launch and have a bunch of people see it and that is basically exactly what thunderclap does, with FREE and paid options. SUPER SUPER handy and powerful tool. Honestly, I think it would be safe to say that if it doesn't do well here, then chances are it won't do to well on KS or anywhere else. Great tool, I'm setting up a campaign right now. ;) We'll see how it goes..