First dive into Kickstarter (mobile game)
  • JAWagner
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

First dive into Kickstarter (mobile game)

by JAWagner » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 am

I'm one of those people who's heard about Kickstarter and has viewed a multitude of campaigns, but I don't really know if I or my project is right for this place.

I'm busting my bum every minute I get working on this project, but I know that it's going to take so much more time and work to complete. I've got it in my head that if I ran a successful campaign to finance completing the game, it might make the workload feel a little more comfortable and I wouldn't have to stress so much about external factors.

I don't exactly know what to ask for. I'm planning to complete this project entirely on my own and the only things I have to pay for are the cost of the software (Adobe) and my own cost of living.

I definitely don't want to fool myself by thinking that people have any interest in paying my way while I complete some little project, but I also don't want to pass up an opportunity.

Tell me what you think, please, and be honest.

Also, a screen cap of my game. You're a robot that burns monster corpses.

• JAWagner
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: First dive into Kickstarter (mobile game)

by JAWagner » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:41 am

I guess this is a hard one to answer.
  • David_the_North
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by David_the_North » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I think it really just depends on how complicated the game is. Most mobile games are pretty simple, so players don't put much value into them. If a game is bringing something new to the market, I could see players getting really interested and then you could ask for some big bucks. If you have just a simple game, might be worth only asking for a small amount, maybe a couple hundred just to see if people are interested. I know a couple hundred doesn't take care of much, but you also have to think how your game will compete with other games running their campaigns at the same time, many of them offering some a full sized game.

I myself have worked on a lot of different mobile and PC games, as a concept artist and game designer. Not sure if that really qualifies me or anything, but that's what I would do in your situation.
  • Falyon
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Falyon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:37 pm

This looks interesting. Is it like the old game Tapper from the 80's?
    SDJ-02: Self Drying Jacket: https://t.co/IliIqax9eT
  • JAWagner
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JAWagner » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:17 am

David_the_North wrote:I think it really just depends on how complicated the game is. Most mobile games are pretty simple, so players don't put much value into them. If a game is bringing something new to the market, I could see players getting really interested and then you could ask for some big bucks. If you have just a simple game, might be worth only asking for a small amount, maybe a couple hundred just to see if people are interested. I know a couple hundred doesn't take care of much, but you also have to think how your game will compete with other games running their campaigns at the same time, many of them offering some a full sized game.

I myself have worked on a lot of different mobile and PC games, as a concept artist and game designer. Not sure if that really qualifies me or anything, but that's what I would do in your situation.

That is a good idea. I could start by asking for a very small amount. Thanks for the advice. Got to get my shoe in somewhere.
  • David_the_North
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by David_the_North » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:23 am

No problem. Let us know when you set up a campaign.
  • JAWagner
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JAWagner » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 am

Falyon wrote:This looks interesting. Is it like the old game Tapper from the 80's?

Thank you. Tapper is, technically, the model for the game, but it has since broken beyond that mold. This was originally a mini game in a point and click horror game I was working on, but I liked it enough to recreate it into its own thing.