We will find you a crowd for your campaign! umm maybe.
  • kelly101
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

We will find you a crowd for your campaign! umm maybe.

by kelly101 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:27 pm

I have noticed a lot of posts on here about whether or not its safe and a good idea to use crowdfunding PR firms, the top two seem to be krowdster and crowdco. I had some ideas about how to judge if its a good idea.

Imagine that you are hiring a new employee - after all they will be working for you - When hiring someone to work for you the first thing you do is check their references:

Check references
    This is easy to do as most of these sites list their clients: So go to the 'Projects page' and randomly pick three or four - the names and contact details of the campaign owner is listed on the site and they can also be contacted through KS. So give them an email and ask:

How much did the PR site contribute to the campaign? Would you recommend using them? ....

If the product owner had a good experience they will tell you and if not they will tell you that too.

We have a database of 500,00 willing backers!!! (Really?? ask them)
    If they claim to have a massive database of crowdfunding clients that are just desperate to crowdfund - then ask for a sample, maybe 5 random names --- If they actually have 500,000 then a small handful will not be a problem or negatively effect their business plan. Once you have some names - send those people an email and ask if they really want to support KS campaigns --- remember if they have signed up to be on a database they will be very willing to answer these emails - if not then your just spamming random people.

Are you a real business?
    As with any company you are going to use: Check that they actually exist: There are several ways to do this:

1: Ask them for their company address, name of their parent company?

2: Search for their company name - all US and EU companies have to be registered on an open register which means things like contact name and address are openly available - I'm not sure about the rest of the world but it seems to be constant.

3: Check to see who owns the domain name or the company trademark

I have followed this procedure for the 'PR' companies that have contacted me (not crowdco) and have not had a very positive experience.

Remember you are hiring these companies to work for you - you are giving them your money - if the are legitimate businesses (which they may well be) then they should be happy to give you their details.

Hope this is helpful.

Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: We will find you a crowd for your campaign! umm maybe.

by Cristina » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 am

This post has been moved to the Kickstarter Tips and Advice section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman