Should I pay for promo? Is this website legit?
  • NatuMyers
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Should I pay for promo? Is this website legit?

by NatuMyers » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:03 pm

kickstarter.raptroop.com I believe I have a solid campaign with no marketing. Should I pay http://prand.co/ or a similar site for press contact? Any reviews? They don't even have a terms of use. Thanks

• RSacdalan
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Should I pay for promo? Is this website legit?

by RSacdalan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 pm

I also have the same general question regarding paying for promotion. A day after starting my campaign I was contacted via my Kickstarter dashboard with offers to promote my campaign. Out of curiosity, I sent them a response simply asking for details of what they offered. The first "company" (http://www.zaptopress.com) I contacted has a professional-looking website, but after 6 days they still have not responded - even though their email to me stated that they would be happy to answer any questions. The other person that contacted me took 6 days to respond, but never provided me with a simple request for a website or information regarding his services. He wanted to talk to me on the phone but never provided the basic information I asked for. It seems to me that if he doesn't have a website or materials to promote himself, then how could he be trusted to promote my campaign?

How can we tell if these "promoters" are legitimate? They seem to get scared off by simple questions and certainly don't respond in a timely manner.

Ron
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pa ... e-volume-o
  • NatuMyers
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by NatuMyers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:10 am

That's definitely the issue, the majority of them don't have any solid proof of what they can do
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:00 pm

If I were you, I would spend 2-3 hours on google to find the influencers and publications in your niche that you need to reach out to.

The hard part is not sending an email to a reporter. It's standing out from the crowd. See: http://www.crowdcrux.com/pitching-a-rep ... -campaign/
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • wade8x
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by wade8x » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:46 pm

How many emails sent to influencers and publications would you say is a good goal to set? Is 200 enough? 500?

Is there any value I can offer them up front, rather than just asking for them to give?

Great post by the way. I have so much stuff to read tonight :)
    My future Kickstarter project: Poor Choices the game
  • HermionePhD
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by HermionePhD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:47 pm

I'd be wary of most companies, especially those that reach out as soon as your launch. It seems really predatory. None of them can show ROI (return on investment), and of my friends who use/donate to KS, none have found campaigns or used these services. They've come out of the woodwork recently but it seems more for their own benefit than yours.
  • RSacdalan
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by RSacdalan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 pm

I think you're right! It all seems a bit shady. Thanks!
  • Complimentary
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Complimentary » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:45 am

Yeah, it seems counterintuitive to have to pay for a service that will help you get backers. It woul be a shame if it ended in a loss, too.
  • guesty
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by guesty » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:18 am

Anyone have experience with my-gigs.co ? Theres been a few favourable mentions but it seems fairly similar to what you guys are talking about
    Super versatile and insanely small GPS tracker preparing for takeoff http://thelightbug.com