The Root - the story of having terrible friends
  • deftpunk
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

The Root - the story of having terrible friends

by deftpunk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Do you want to dabble in the future? Does being on the cutting edge of Internet of Things technology and automation pique your fancy? My name is Zach, and I’m a graduating senior Electrical Engineering student at the University of Texas at Dallas. My team and I have been working for the last six months developing a BoosterPack for the Texas Instruments MSP430/CC3200 Microprocessors. What we’ve designed and built is a low-power PCB with two differential motor drivers, a nano-timer, and a solar energy harvesting IC (just to name the big things) that can be used in a cornucopia of applications from quadcopters to giving your toaster an IP address. We decided to take it to KickStarter and showcase one of our uses for it; The Root! We use our Microprocessor to control a hydroponics unit housed in a bucket. We’re a third of the way to our funding goal, and we’d love for you guys to check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57 ... plant-grow

We also run a blog at nibblesnbytes.tumblr.com documenting our journey.

Like I said, we're approximately a third of the way to success, but the interesting thing is, not a single one of the team's friends or family contributed a single dollar. We were able to generate the success we have today through good marketing schemes and a quality page on KickStarter. Obviously, having a good product is important too. Our secret resides in making our video personal, and creating a story for people to see. The more personal you can make your page, the more people will believe in you and want to back you, rather than the product itself. For instance, we've had a lot of positive response to our blog that shows us from our first group meeting all the way to today, with $800 in the proverbial bank 5 days in to our campaign. So remember, it's about you, not your product.

Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: The Root - the story of having terrible friends

by Cristina » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:12 am

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman