And so it begins!
  • rainfirefilms
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

And so it begins!

by rainfirefilms » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Hello all, I'm fairly new to this forum. My name is Andrew Rainnie, and I have recently set up a filmmaking company, Rain Fire Films, based in Scotland.

I walk many paths in life - filmmaker, writer, copywriter, reviewer, editor, journalist... for almost three years now I have been writing a column on WarpZoned.com highlighting the best videogaming projects on Kickstarter, and now I've decided to jump in to try and fund some short films myself and a few friends would really like to get made. I thought I'd share a bit about my story here.

As a filmmaker, I realized my Kickstarter video would probably be held up to high scrutiny than most, so I made sure it looked sweet and sounded good too. Sound is so often the one thing people forget, and yet it is why great sound people are hard to come by. I recorded direct to camera via a Rode VideoMic Pro, as well as a back-up on an H4N Zoom recorder. The recorder actually sounded far better than the mic, and a lot of the sound was taken off that.

I deliberately made our video 3 minutes long (well 3 mins and 3 secs). I see many initial videos that go on at length, but for me, 3 mins is the sweet spot. We have a series of updates planned via video which are much longer, but people can watch those should they choose. The opening video had to sell the idea of the films, without us having shot a single frame.

Anotehr way we done this is to hire a storyboard artist to effectively draw the entire films. I've edited the storyboards together into an anamatic version, which will hopefully push people to contribute, if they can see that the films are not just a script but something almost fully realised. I managed to hire a great storyboard artist for a negotiated price, and if you are thinking of doing something similar, it is well worth it.

Anyway, my project has been live for all of 6 hours, and we've already hit £52 of our £15,000 goal. I'll hopefully keep you all updated on the progress, and share updates on how we are promoting it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/an ... s-of-short

Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: And so it begins!

by Cristina » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman