Choosing the Right Category
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Choosing the Right Category

by GregSilas » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Hey everyone. I've been researching crowdfunding for a long time, done tons of reading and have backed over 200 projects. In the coming months I will launch a campaign. One of the big issues is that my style of project does not fit the typical crowdfunding categories. I'm pretty set on Kickstarter though same issues everywhere. 2 questions:

1) My project: creating a better Linkedin (it's a lot more complex but let's keep it to that description for now). The most obvious sub-category (note all are TECH) I suppose would be WEB. Next would be APP, then I suppose SOFTWARE. But none do it justice. One of the reasons I'm on the fence is that WEB has low engagement on KS and typically have small goals, except for Reading Rainbow. After that one, it quickly dives south of $100,000.

2) For those people who have ran a campaign and decided strategically to choose a different, less obvious, category for their project, has it worked in your favor and if so, why? In what ways?

Please share experience for those people who have grappled with category choices. Thanks...Greg

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Choosing the Right Category

by sbriggman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:55 pm

1. Yeah, web apps are hard to crowdfund, unless they are open source. Did a podcast with a campaign that raised about 50k in this category? Might help. It's episode 6 if you listen to the podcast at all on your phone: http://www.crowdcrux.com/launching-a-su ... ckstarter/
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:50 am

sbriggman wrote:1. Yeah, web apps are hard to crowdfund, unless they are open source. Did a podcast with a campaign that raised about 50k in this category? Might help. It's episode 6 if you listen to the podcast at all on your phone: http://www.crowdcrux.com/launching-a-su ... ckstarter/

Thanks Sal. Listened to podcast, though no insight into choice of category. Some good advice on positioning of perks..namely to pre-sell as much as possible even if a web-app. I still need to decide if I put the campaign in the category WEB just because it fits best, or, choose something that more people tend to look at like SOFTWARE, GAMES, DESIGN, etc
  • frantzgac
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by frantzgac » Tue May 12, 2015 11:09 am

Hello
    I'm just beginning in crowfunding. One partner talks to me about KickStart and I jump in this universe.
    First problem : Choosing my right category. My project is an mobile application pedagogic. It should be useful for aikido (martial art) candidat to graduation (1st dan ...).
    No category exists for this purpose.
    Second problem : after looking at kickstart web site in many where : impossible to post a question !
    Could you help me ?