How to promote my project via Media
  • sunsj
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

How to promote my project via Media

by sunsj » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:17 am

I'm planning my next project, but quite confused how to make promotion, how other project did this:

Apperciate if anyone can give some useful tips.

I love gadgets!
  • gregc
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: How to promote my project via Media

by gregc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:03 pm

At least a month before you start write a really good press release and send it to any media outlet that you think might get value out of covering you.

Always think about it from the perspective of "If I were running a media outlet, what would I want?" Generally it's info that's easy to turn into an article, for smaller bloggers etc. offers of guest posts and interviews make it easy for them to keep to their update schedule with less effort for them.
  • Women in Blues
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Women in Blues » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:09 am

Hi sunsj,

I would agree with gregc that it is important to plan well ahead and write a really good press release.

I find it helpful to think about approaching contacting bloggers, publications etc from the perspective of how it will benefit them and appeal to their readers. You are essentially asking them for a favour in asking them to cover your project so you need to make it clear that they're going to get something out of it too (whether it's interesting content for their blog or expanding their readership etc).

I found this article from The Black and Blue helpful on this subject: http://www.theblackandblue.com/2012/02/ ... ign-pitch/
  • MarekS
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by MarekS » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Hello,

It's nice to look on the bloggers website and articles if they wrote something about crowdfunding or kickstarter. It's always good to keep your message little bit personal so they will know you are not just another spam.
    Try to find blogs or websites that are intersted in products that are similar to yours or blogs that are interested in new gadgets, design or they are writting a lot about problems you can solve with your product.

As 'Women in Blues' wrote above me, you are asking them for a favour, so It's always good to offer them something what they could be interested in. Like you can send them your product, so they can try it and make review or you can offer them place on your website as thank you or someting like that .

I hope it will help you. Good luck and have a nice day :)
    Infinity Pen: The most effective way to keep your ideas
    - modular pen which consists of pen, highlighter, thin marker, and stylus entirely made from aluminium and magnets
    http://igg.me/at/InfinityPen
  • sunsj
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by sunsj » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 am

I'm not an expert of this part, actually, I hope I can outsource such work, and focus on the R&D of the project. It's hard to find a good one, I have cooperated with on PR company, but seems they just take the money and do little things.
    I love gadgets!
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:10 pm

I put together some of my thoughts in this recent podcast on PR. Hope it helps: http://www.crowdcrux.com/pr-mistakes-to ... -outreach/

Sal
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • LemonCycle
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by LemonCycle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:28 pm

The problem I find is that if your project hasn't done something yet, people don't want to cover it. I've had two separate news sources tell me this. I'm raising money to build a tricycle, and they've said they want to write about it once I get it, but not in the fundraising stage. Thoughts?