3D representations of products forbidden on Kickstarter?
  • Chris_Morey
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

3D representations of products forbidden on Kickstarter?

by Chris_Morey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Hey guys! So on October 8th we are starting our Kickstarter for our new book, Black Labyrinth Book II: Joe R. Lansdale.

The thing is, Kickstarter says that 3D representations of the product are forbidden. Yet I've looked at Kickstarters for board games and seen images that are clearly 3D representations of the board game box!

Will we get in trouble if we have an image of a 3D book with the front cover design on the front? I just don't see why this is such a terrible thing (perhaps they feel it could be deceiving?).

Thanks for any help on this!

• MichaelTumey
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: 3D representations of products forbidden on Kickstarter?

by MichaelTumey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:34 am

I think the rule applies to hard goods or machined goods. For example one of our members has a Kickstarter for a wooden watch, in that instance, using a 3D representation of a wooden watch is wrong and should be forbidden. However, a published product like a book or game box I believe is fine.

If it is forbidden then I've broken that rule. I've got a 3D representation of what the published book of my Kickstarter will look like, as the first illustration posted on my Kickstarter page. The page passed review by the Kickstarter team, and it's 27 days without a hitch regarding the issue, and I have 62 hours left in my funding period.

I'd go ahead and create one for your project and post it on your page. If the Kickstarter team flags it, then or even at a later time, all you'd have to do is remove it. I don't think having one would jeopardize your project. It hasn't on mine.
    25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Kickstarter - create stunning RPG maps using any standard graphics software.
    fvreeman
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: 3D representations of products forbidden on Kickstarter?

by fvreeman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Chris,

I had the same thing with a hardware product, but eventually they let me post the drawing midway into the campaign as long as my prototype was also posted. I've seen a lot of hardware guys do that.

http://tinyurl.com/myphonekickstarter
    http://tinyurl.com/myphonekickstarter

Fred