First Kickstarter Noob worries.
  • Kangen
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

First Kickstarter Noob worries.

by Kangen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Hey guys,

So I have an amazing Idea, me and a few of my own game grump friends are chatting about game devs, how some games can be pumped out so quickly and others take years.
    Players just get to see beta and final releases.
    My friend suggests to me that i should make a game live on social media. Recording every step I take.

Brilliant Idea but what game? So we chat about what would make an awesome game and it hits me.
    That's it. How many gamers have had this discussion. How many none gamers have had this discussion? What if there was a place you could go and say that exact thing... "That would make an awesome game." and if enough people agreed it got made. Live on camera.

So that's what I did. I set up a Kickstarter for that exact idea. Problem is I'm good at making games but awful at generating hype and interest on a Kickstarter.

Two days Later and I am looking big fat 0's wondering if I was wrong about the idea, where i was going wrong...

How does everyone else do this so successfully and beat the self doubt

• philenacartermusic
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: First Kickstarter Noob worries.

by philenacartermusic » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 am

I like that you've posted this, and your idea sounds really interesting. I'm in a similar situation. I'm trying to launch an EP within the year, but after starting my kickstarter, noticed I made some major mistakes.
    Luckily, I've had some really good feedback from other kickstarters.
    -Make sure there are multiple tip bonuses, even if it is something easy and small
    -Share it on social media regularly, not just once...
    -Have a short promotional video that keeps attention (Mine is too long, no one finishes it)

Aside from that, there are some really good websites out there that go through the guidelines of a successful project. I just haven't found what fits me yet. Good luck!
    My EP needs your pledges ;)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/54 ... ep-release

Help bring my music to life!
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:35 am

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
  • herringtj
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by herringtj » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:52 pm

I'll be honest, I think the explanation you've offered here is a little confusing. If your Kickstarter is made up of the same text I think it might confuse people.

Maybe try making the idea simpler and boil it down to one or two sentences, much like you would for a movie logline.

So you are making the game LIVE or you are recording it and posting videos of you working in real time? If you are making the game live, are you taking requests and doing what got the most votes would go into the game? Something like Twitch plays Pokemon but "Twitch makes a Video Game."

I think I ultimately got the point you are making but I had to read it a couple times so that could be part of the problem. I'm not sure since I haven't actually seen the Kickstarter page itself.

Also, I could see this making a really awesome documentary as well as a potentially awesome game. Do you intend to record the sessions and have some sort of video of it at the end? That might generate interest in the gaming AND film crowd?

Just some suggestions. I'm relatively new to the crowdfunding thing as well.
  • themasturr
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by themasturr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:41 pm

generating hype and marketing is the toughest part of a campaign. I would say just post on social media, ask friends, family.