Not off to a good start
  • josh.j30
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Not off to a good start

by josh.j30 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:49 am

Yeah I've had a similar problem.
    I joined a few sites that offer sign up services but only a couple of backers resulted from that. It looks like the only real way to succeed on KS, is through your own personal network. An email list is crucial, plus a fb page with at least 5,000 fans usually does the trick. Most projects that do well on KS usually have been a company for a couple of years. I didn't want to wait that long to launch my project, so I thought I had taken enough steps to get around it, but I was wrong. Most KS project owners will tell you that Facebook and the proper press coverage is where the majority of their backers have come from. So I would personally focus on that for your next project. I know I will.

Josh
    http://kck.st/1xobSKm

• T.J.Moore
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by T.J.Moore » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:31 pm

I made the mistake of no pre-advertising my campaign. I got excited when I got a backer in the first 24 hours, but only one more since then. I still have over three weeks to go, but I'm concerned all the same. Any ideas on how to drum up business?
  • BootlegBotanicals
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by BootlegBotanicals » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Based on our last campaign I would say the biggest thing is to make it a fun experience for the backers. One thing we did was have several levels that had the rewards increase as stretch goals became unlocked, this allowed backers to get excited and share with friends so they got more stuff. It made it really fun for everyone, but you have to be very careful as you are essentially giving away some profit. It worked great for us, we planned well and budgeted for the extras.

When it comes to planning the delivery dates, make sure to figure out the last day it could take to deliver, then add a month or two because stuff happens. Kickstarter allows you to limit the number of backers for a said level... use that feature so you can stagger deliveries if and when you get way over funded.

Marketing is a part of the puzzle but the offering needs to be very compelling. If you get 1,000 people to see your project and you only have a 1% capture rate you are not going to succeed unless you know millions of people. if there is any way to adjust offerings and the message to be more compelling, fun and allow people to win more stuff for sharing you should focus on that before trying to find more eyeballs.

Good luck, hang in there!
  • christinepetitmusic
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by christinepetitmusic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:09 am

Have you had any luck since then?

I was very surprised signing up that so much of the promotions were on me, I have a very small goal, but NONE of my backers have found my project on kickstarter itself. I have $137 now out of $190, but I still need some more to reach my goal and I have 30 days left...

I also feel bad spamming my personal friends so much.

Check it out if you want people, and let me know any advice you may have to get my project out to people in the first place (because once my project is actually seen, I don't have any problem really with getting backers...)
    My name is Christine Petit and I am a 23 year old doctorate psychology student, singer, and lyricist living in NYC. Check out my kickstarter project here to help me create and record my original songs: http://kck.st/1A3kZ3Y