Poll - What is your preferred way to promote your project?
  • What is your preferred way to promote your project?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Email, face to face, telephone
    29%
    Facebook
    14%
    Google +
    43%
    Linked-In
    No votes
    Twitter
    14%
    Other
    No votes

Total votes: 7
    inflexionUSA
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Poll - What is your preferred way to promote your project?

by inflexionUSA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start with a simple poll and use it as a stair step towards Best of Practices.

Thank you in advance for your response.

James

James Wissel / inflexionUSA.com

Website http://inflexionusa.com
    Twitter inflexion@inflexionusa
    Email inflexion@inflexionUSA.com
  • MichaelTumey
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Poll - What is your preferred way to promote your projec

by MichaelTumey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:14 am

While I prefer face-to-face, I voted G+ because I would talk myself hoarse instead of just making a post on my G+ community, 460 members, but also seen by over 1000 friends, and 600+ other people I share circles with. Plus I also make identical posts to other industry related G+ communities, like the G+ Tabletop Roleplaying Games community with 7,192 members and the Map-Making for Games G+ community with 2,860 members, all highly targeted for my products.

Also, not that Facebook wouldn't work, it should work equally well as a G+ community - I have a Facebook account as well. However, I use Facebook mostly to connect with RPG industry people, only a few fans on the site, the rest are publishers, editors, cartographers, illustrators, game designers. I use it more for business network, rather than public marketing. I do have more than a few backers who are Facebook friends, however. Only about 188 Facebook Friends.
    25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Kickstarter - create stunning RPG maps using any standard graphics software.
  • drlouisechughes
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by drlouisechughes » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:51 pm

I have used all and obtained backers from all methods. I have a greater reach with Google+ with over 4000 followers, but Twitter is also good as I get a lot of retweets etc. I have been e-mailling and speaking to people face-to-face. I think I need to do more of this over the next week.

Perhaps a better question is which one do you have the most success with?
    Funded!!! Electron microscopy artwork http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... endar-2014

Funded!!! Human chromosome jewellery. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... collection
    inflexionUSA
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by inflexionUSA » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:10 am

Thank you Michael and Louise for voting and for your comment. I hope this encourages others to elaborate further as well.

James
    James Wissel / inflexionUSA.com

Website http://inflexionusa.com
    Twitter inflexion@inflexionusa
    Email inflexion@inflexionUSA.com
  • c1ue
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by c1ue » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:28 am

From what I've seen in my research - the most effective way is media.

Getting a mention of your kickstarter/product by a blogger gives you the opportunity to have all of that blogger's regulars become traffic to your kickstarter. As I had mentioned in another post, you can see the impact of this (at least indirectly) for Indiegogo projects that use vimeo for their video provider.

With the Kreyos project, for example, one of the top 10 on the Kreyos video page was a web site called gigazine.net

Searching Google for 'kreyos' and 'gigazine.net' yields the specific gigazine.net article talking about Kreyos; the date of that article corresponded precisely with a 2000 click on video jump. It is also a Japanese e-magazine with the article being entirely in Japanese.

Now, I can't tell you what the CTR rate is for the Kreyos project, but if the CTR was say, 1% then 200,000 views likely driven by that article. Really tough to replicate that type of reach with social media outreach for most folks.