Let's Talk About Feelings! (Funding from friends/family)
  • ExplodingDesk
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

Let's Talk About Feelings! (Funding from friends/family)

by ExplodingDesk » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:45 pm

So, my Kickstarter is doing well! I'm happy about that! However, and I'm wondering if any of you have felt the same.

I didn't expect my family and friends to be such big donors, and I'm feeling a little sheepish (for lack of a better word) about it. Obviously they chose to do it, but it feels like a lot of money.

So far my backer number is almost half and half people I know/ people I don't know. However, my amount raised is about 80% of family and friends.

I guess this makes sense. I am a first time creator without a lot backing me up. My "you can trust me" resume is non-existant, as I'm moving into new territory. (Formerly I worked in medical research.) Therefore, those who don't know me are willing to take a chance, but not a huge chance.

Has anyone else experienced this? Were you expecting it?

Dylan Waller, Founder of Quest Scouts
    Fulfill Objectives to Complete Quests and Earn Real Life Badges!
    www.QuestScouts.com
    therriaultk
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Let's Talk About Feelings! (Funding from friends/family)

by therriaultk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Congrats on being so close to your goal!
    I understand your feeling, but I do think it's normal for friends and family to make up a large portion of support for crowdfunding campaigns.
    Also, I saw an interview with Indiegogo's CEO recently that made a good point: if your friends and family aren't supporting your campaign, why should a stranger?
    So in your case when you say you don't have much experience that support will help you even more.
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com
  • ExplodingDesk
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by ExplodingDesk » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:05 am

therriaultk wrote:Congrats on being so close to your goal!
    I understand your feeling, but I do think it's normal for friends and family to make up a large portion of support for crowdfunding campaigns.
    Also, I saw an interview with Indiegogo's CEO recently that made a good point: if your friends and family aren't supporting your campaign, why should a stranger?
    So in your case when you say you don't have much experience that support will help you even more.

Good point! I'd love to see the statistics on this.
    Dylan Waller, Founder of Quest Scouts
    Fulfill Objectives to Complete Quests and Earn Real Life Badges!
    www.QuestScouts.com
  • uttoransen
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by uttoransen » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:50 am

Congrats for reaching close to your funding goals. Good to know that your family and friends are backing you. That should be the general rule, right?

thanks,
    Uttoran Sen,
    We back and promote every Crowd Funding Campaign posted on our Crowd Speaking website.
  • Caselace
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Caselace » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 pm

We've been amazed at how wonderful some of our friends are being, including large donations for no reward. We'd like them to change their choice and plump for a reward though as we don't want to be viewed as a charity case :o