Why choose Indigogo? Convert a Kickstarter loyalist!
  • ExplodingDesk
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

Why choose Indigogo? Convert a Kickstarter loyalist!

by ExplodingDesk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm trying to broaden my horizons. I'm not the sort of person who gets stuck in the "Mac/PC" type debates usually, but I have pretty strong feelings about crowdfunding sites. I really love Kickstarter. So, all you folks who use Indigogo, try to sell it to me! Why would I choose Indigogo over Kickstarter, from a creators perspective?

Dylan Waller, Founder of Quest Scouts
    Fulfill Objectives to Complete Quests and Earn Real Life Badges!
    www.QuestScouts.com
    therriaultk
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Why choose Indigogo? Convert a Kickstarter loyalist!

by therriaultk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Well I know a lot of people choose Indiegogo because their kind of project wouldn't get accepted on Kickstarter (a lot of suspended or cancelled ones also go there next). They also offer flexible funding so if creators choose they can get the money even if they didn't meet their goal. Aside from that maybe just different audiences? Personal Preference? :P
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com
  • ExplodingDesk
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by ExplodingDesk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 pm

therriaultk wrote:Well I know a lot of people choose Indiegogo because their kind of project wouldn't get accepted on Kickstarter (a lot of suspended or cancelled ones also go there next). They also offer flexible funding so if creators choose they can get the money even if they didn't meet their goal. Aside from that maybe just different audiences? Personal Preference? :P

That makes sense. Although, I feel like getting a partial amount of the money is dangerous. You still need to deliver your rewards, but now you don't necessarily have enough money to produce/send out those rewards.
    Dylan Waller, Founder of Quest Scouts
    Fulfill Objectives to Complete Quests and Earn Real Life Badges!
    www.QuestScouts.com
    therriaultk
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by therriaultk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Very true, that's makes some backers hesitant to use the platform but it's still one of Kickstarter's biggest competitors. Hopefully most creators would choose not to take the money if they knew they couldn't deliver.
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com
  • uttoransen
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by uttoransen » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:46 am

So far, from what I have learned - here is why you should join Indiegogo too.

1) Kickstarter only accepts a limited number of countries, while Indiegogo supports most countries.

2) Kickstarter don't allow much of health related funding - this is where Indiegogo is the best option.

3) Kickstarter has a strict funding rule, if you don't reach your funding goal - you won't be funded. So the fact that you backed a project and thought it was cool is meaning less, unless others share you opinion ... that is not the case with Indiegogo as they have flexible funding options,

thanks,
    Uttoran Sen,
    We back and promote every Crowd Funding Campaign posted on our Crowd Speaking website.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Indiegogo is also now testing out a forever funding campaign, where you will be able to continue to accept pledges even after your project has finished.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • campa52
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by campa52 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:21 pm

The Indiegogo team has been on my side since the beginning of my campaign...a real help
    Devils in Disguise 117% reached 29 days to go
    http://igg.me/at/devils
  • DarrenLevine
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by DarrenLevine » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Aside from what's already mentioned, Kickstarter is of course the beast, and indigogo has been playing beauty wherever it can because of it. You may get a bigger reach on KS, but may get more help from IGG, if your project isn't allowed on KS, then the choice is obvious. With both, you need your own audience, unless your project is something that has legitimate draw (everyone thinks theirs does)

Also, more people are familiar with and registered on KS, which is just another possibility of more backers
    -
    I'm the video guy :)

I help inventors/Kickstarters create pitch/product introduction videos: https://vimeo.com/channels/stimulus