In a mid-campaign slump -- take a look?
  • Nathan Graham Davis
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

In a mid-campaign slump -- take a look?

by Nathan Graham Davis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 am

Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of a 30-day campaign for a graphic novel, and we're getting a lot more behind pace than I'd like. I've talked to some other creators and apparently this isn't uncommon, but it's still keeping me up at night.

I could go on listing the things we've got working for us, but I'm more interested in developing a list of what we're doing wrong at this point. I will say, we've been promoting non-stop. Our Twitter account isn't doing well, but we've got over 350 likes on facebook, which isn't bad. We've been to two conventions, where we've passed out postcards and ashcans, which seem to have generated a great response. However, we're not seeing that in the numbers.

A few blogs and one podcast have interviewed us, and we have several more in the works. Not really sure what we're doing wrong, but maybe it's in the Kickstarter page, itself. Our video is unorthodox, but the feedback on it has been good, so I've assumed it's just fine.

Anyway, would you be willing to take a look and give us feedback?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/586493430/malice-and-mistletoe-an-original-graphic-novel

Thanks!

Nate

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: In a mid-campaign slump -- take a look?

by sbriggman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 pm

One tip when you go to conventions (not sure if you did this) is to always try to get people's email addresses, in addition to handing out cards. It's the best way to engage with them later and get them to take action.

Have you gotten pledges from strangers at all or is it mainly people in your personal network?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Nathan Graham Davis
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Nathan Graham Davis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:53 pm

That's a great idea about e-mail addresses and I really wish we'd done that. We spent the last two weekends at the Boston Comic-Con and ComiCONN in Bridgeport, CT. The response was great, but we've seen very little in follow-up. I'd say 10-15% of our 40 backers are strangers to us, but it's been largely friends and family.

Thanks for the reply!
    Eaglespeaker
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Eaglespeaker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:33 pm

I am little late to the party, but, I read about your challenges, saw the email listbuilding tip ... awesome, I am gonna use that ... and congrats on getting funding !!!
    NAPI: UNcut & Uncensored (a native graphic novel)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63 ... phic-novel
  • professorbuzzkill
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by professorbuzzkill » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:03 pm

When you're in this kind of slump have any of you used those professional crowd-source companies that claim to drive traffic to your site? Are they for real? Thanks -- Joe
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73 ... r-buzzkill
  • kittkkat
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by kittkkat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:23 pm

These are all great tips and I feel like I'm in a mid-campaign slump too! We have 19 days to go, but the funding has stalled. We're over 54% there, and I know it sounds like 19 days is a lot but when you have $2275 left you raise, you feel a little unsettled.

i feel like I've exhausted my contacts and am wondering if any of you have had success with PR efforts or "outsiders"contributing to you campaigns. Thanks & best of luck to you all!!
    ishkur
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by ishkur » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:13 am

Congratulations Nathan for getting funding. Way to go!

We are struggling with our KS campaign. We have a very strong backing from the Virtual Reality community because the project creator knows many of them, and VR fans like to support VR projects. However, we are trying to tap in to the larger gaming crowd and share our story.

Because I've been so heavily involved with the project, I know its potential. Ethereon is poised to be one of the best consumer VR experiences available next year. I strongly feel it will be in the top 10 of all VR content that comes out next year.

How do we get our message out there to a broader audience? We have a small Twitter and Facebook following but very supportive. We have 2 conventions lined up on Dec 11 and 13. We are open to ideas.

Please check out our Kickstarter campaign and let me know what you think. Thank you!
    Artist and Animator at Smile More Studios, makers of the CarQuiz Math Game.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carquiz-math-game/id979637176?mt=8
  • Mann8806
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Mann8806 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Hope this can help me get out of my little Kickstarter slump
  • kittkkat
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by kittkkat » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi, again everyone! Nathan! Just curious, how did you get 40 strangers to back your project? Also, how did you get out of the mid-campapign slump and succeed?

Thanks so much for the feedback! It's great to learn from you all. Also, Ishkur, I'll check out yours if you check out mine :) Thank you in advance!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53 ... -dont-date
    ishkur
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by ishkur » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:11 pm

@kittkkat - looks like a very interesting show that many people would like. I believe a lot of people can relate to this type of show. You still have 2.5 weeks to go and a modest Kickstarter goal. Keep at it and don't let up on the promotion. Seems like you have a good chance at success. Good luck!
    Artist and Animator at Smile More Studios, makers of the CarQuiz Math Game.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carquiz-math-game/id979637176?mt=8