Best Kickstarter Advice You've Received?
    coolinvent
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Best Kickstarter Advice You've Received?

by coolinvent » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 pm

I've been revisiting my influencer list. Sending a focused message as stated above is a must. Regarding free shipping, we've tried it where we had backers add to their pledge for shipping. This was tooo confusing for them and we got a lot of negatives on it. So this one we're including shipping and subsidizing shipping for international. That's the only way it can go smoothly I think.

• hogeandco
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by hogeandco » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:58 pm

Lots of great advice here!

Id say the best advice I've received is to evenly price your rewards. Having $1 then $50+ tends to deter people from backing. Especially considering a lot of people will back at less than $50.
    coolinvent
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by coolinvent » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:38 am

I've found that just having a $10 T shirt just to have that level doesn't work. Our project starts at $45. People can pledge at any level under that if they want to contribute. You don't have to have an actual $1 level.
    TheSantaCruzDog
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by TheSantaCruzDog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 am

Well it's only my first day since launch, but i have received a $100.00 backer already. I have been promoting on Twitter the most, so I would definitely say to add Twitter to your strategy for some quick wins. It would make sense being your tweets aren't limited to just your friends like other social networks. Always use hashtags!
    I have started a new KickStarter project and haven't launched yet. Feedback is appreciated for this pre-launch! FML http://goo.gl/B1acrB.
    coolinvent
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by coolinvent » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:03 am

Actually Twitter is really good if you keep at it. Having a FB page for your project helps also.
    TheSantaCruzDog
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by TheSantaCruzDog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:05 am

coolinvent wrote:Actually Twitter is really good if you keep at it. Having a FB page for your project helps also.

Yes FB is good for sure too. My goal is pretty hefty but necessary, so no matter what i do, good chance this doesn't take off.
    I have started a new KickStarter project and haven't launched yet. Feedback is appreciated for this pre-launch! FML http://goo.gl/B1acrB.
  • Dpowell
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Dpowell » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:04 pm

1). Create a following prior to launch ( FB,PININTEREST, Twitter, etc)
    2). Create an opt-in email page on your website ( not everyone likes FB) , for announcements
    3). Identify bloggers, product reviewers, in our industry and create a relationship.
    4). Understand how FB advertising and Google Adwords programs work and create a budget
    5). Create a great video and get lots of product pics to use in your campaign.
    6). Start some sample advertising and blogging months prior to your launch
    7). Trade shows are great and many have 'Inventors Sections' so you can meet qualified buyers
    8). Understand the REAL costs with postage, labor, your product, tariffs, taxes, KS fees, etc
    9). Create rewards that are discounted heavily from your anticipated MSRP of your product
    10). Get feedback on your KS page prior to launch! Not too wordy! Demonstrate the rewards!
    11). Launch when you reach your audience and followers goals.
    12). PRESS RELEASE! Contact the media, local TV, bloggers, and email , tweet, FB
    13). Send KS updates when necessary and request your pledges to share on FB and email
    14). Answer ALL email and be responsive and professional.
    15). Offer reasonable updates after your campaign. Be open and informative.
    16). Offer Pre-orders on your website the day your KS campaign ends

I'm sure there's lots more but these are the things I'm doing myself after much research. Some projects have fantastic initial success and make the process seem too easy. It's not easy as a rule so be prepared to wear many hats and learn many things outside the scope of posting content on a KS page.
    Drew Powell
    Molding Mate LLC
    Http://www.MoldingMate.com
    Like us on FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/moldingmate
  • preeminentteam
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by preeminentteam » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:02 pm

The best advice for me wasn't something given directly to me, it was something I pulled together after reading numerous websites, blog and the like. It's really simple, but quite difficult to do as well:

BE UNIQUE, be who you are.

I've noticed in everything I've read everyone wants a cookie cutter, guaranteed way to make their project successful. I've yet to see anyone truly suggest that being who you are "should" be the key to your project. Ironically, in some ways Kickstarter is starting to become like everything else - where you are judged more on your visibility than what you can actually deliver.

It's great to have all the backers to get your project funded, but if they are simply "following the crowd" how many will be around after 1 year or 3 years. I'd rather build a solid foundation based on my product, instead of how many tweets or blog entries I can muster in a 30 day period.
    Dean McKinney
    Preeminent Magazine - Character and Success Redefined
    http://kck.st/1szhxuw (Campaign Link)
    @thepreeminentteam
    www.preeminentmag.com

Campaigning from Nov 11 - Dec 11, 2014
  • BarryJSellers
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by BarryJSellers » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:17 am

bbd001 wrote:The best KS advice is visit kickstarterforum.org before launching the campaign. :)

Marketing, marketing, marketing. Don't expect backers will visit your KS project simply it is posted on the KS website.

Seriously though, I wish I had visited this site before launching my campaign. A lot of great information here for someone new to this concept.

Barry Sellers
    Kickstarter Campaign: Artisan Outdoor Supply
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1442789216/artisan-outdoor-supply-company?ref=nav_search
  • jazzdrive3
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by jazzdrive3 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:59 am

Ditto. I wish I had found this site before I had launched :)
    Princess Hiccup - an illustrated fairy tale about laughter and hiccups: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1119586760/princess-hiccup-a-story-of-laughter-and-hiccups