Backing Not Tax Deductible
    TheSantaCruzDog
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Backing Not Tax Deductible

by TheSantaCruzDog » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:34 am

I was hopeful that backing could be tax deductible. I felt it would be a good marketing ploy for us Kick Starters here. I guess it turns out it's not tax deductible and I'm quick to wonder why. I can understand if there is a reward and you option to use that reward, but isn't it so that if you donate money or gift it, it is considered tax deductible? That was my thought, but I'm not a tax lawyer. Anyhow, I think it should be tax deductible if no reward is taken.

What do you think?

I have started a new KickStarter project and haven't launched yet. Feedback is appreciated for this pre-launch! FML http://goo.gl/B1acrB.
  • UndergroundHippie
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Backing Not Tax Deductible

by UndergroundHippie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:25 pm

It would be great to be tax deductible, especially for projects launching at the end of the year. I guess the best thing to do is to try and spend all of your backer rewards, cancelling out any gain.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Backing Not Tax Deductible

by sbriggman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:17 pm

My research led me to the conclusion that pledges raised are for the most part considered taxable income. However, if there is a large discrepancy between the value of the reward and the amount given (Mug for $100), it can be considered a gift. Also, if the person does not choose a reward, it can be considered a gift.

More details: http://www.crowdcrux.com/kickstarter-in ... lications/
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.