Which category is your Kickstarter project in?
  • Which category is your Kickstarter project in?

Art
    3%
    Comics
    5%
    Crafts
    5%
    Dance
    No votes
    Design
    17%
    Fashion
    2%
    Film & Video
    5%
    Food
    8%
    Games
    15%
    Journalism
    1%
    Music
    2%
    Photography
    5%
    Publishing
    14%
    Technology
    18%
    Theater
    1%

Total votes: 88
    DDGmail
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Which category is your Kickstarter project in?

by DDGmail » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:17 am

Hi ConnectionDeck. I just added you as a friend. I also see you live in Langley. I'm in Ladner. Do you attend any local events or meet ups? There's local writer's groups here that I'll be visiting during my December vacation.

The Connection Deck concept seems interesting. You've put some thought into designing it. I'm disappointed there's no video showing the cards or demonstrating how they're used. Even a few seconds of video would tell me a lot.

I'm very interested in self-publishing and you are right about the three stories. They're all testing different publishing strategies but follow the same start-to-finish formula. An illustrated children's book is a great opportunity to learn how this tool works. I can then use my new acquired knowledge (and relationships) to tackle the other two stories. I will even publish a bonus guide on how I did it so that others can do it too.

About the three stories:

"Star Vaders" -- I have a great sci-fi project on my hands, but the scope is enormous. It's a 6 part story, so roughly 60 chapters or 600 pages. Part 1 is complete and in first revision. Part 2 will start some time in 2015. I'm deciding what to do next as parts of the story border on satire / parody / transformative works. An IP lawyer I spoke to wanted a $5000 retainer to even look at the material, which I cannot afford.

The story takes place in an alternate earth, where resource-rich Canada leads the attack on other countries with diabolical machines of war. It's a story about the lives of "force sensitive" oil patch workers whose lives are complicated by job site safety regulations. And the horrible things that come out of the oil extraction pits, called YODS.

"The Upside Down Mountain" -- This novella is completed and is in its first revision. It's about one man's quest to scale the Upside Down Mountain to find out the truth of what happened to his father. The themes are forced equality dystopia, and pervasive surveillance.

ConnectionDeck

by ConnectionDeck » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:26 am

Hi DDG,

Our video is with the editor right now - we're hoping to have the first cut tomorrow (minus b-roll).
    It's mainly of us talking though, with some Group Works cards in the background - the cards are under development (as we speak I'm mocking up some examples of what the Connection Deck cards will look like.

As our campaign runs we're going to be releasing a new way to use the cards, one a day.

The stories definitely sound interesting. I can see the IP challenges with "Star Vaders" and wonder, would the trade off in brand-recognition be worth not having to deal with that? I know ToME (A game I've played for a long time) finally shed all relationship to Lord of the Rings and was thus able to become commercially viable.

Looking forward to sharing the journey!
    Our Kickstarter Campaign: http://bit.ly/CDForumSig
    Connection Deck - A unique resource for children and the parents, educators, and caregivers who love them.
    http://www.connectiondeck.com
  • CrknCrack
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by CrknCrack » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:39 am

Good to see Kickstarter used for creating new Technology.
  • speedstudio1
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by speedstudio1 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Design, specifically bicycles
    DDGmail
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by DDGmail » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:26 am

ConnectionDeck wrote:Hi DDG,

Our video is with the editor right now - we're hoping to have the first cut tomorrow (minus b-roll).
    It's mainly of us talking though, with some Group Works cards in the background - the cards are under development (as we speak I'm mocking up some examples of what the Connection Deck cards will look like.

As our campaign runs we're going to be releasing a new way to use the cards, one a day.

The stories definitely sound interesting. I can see the IP challenges with "Star Vaders" and wonder, would the trade off in brand-recognition be worth not having to deal with that? I know ToME (A game I've played for a long time) finally shed all relationship to Lord of the Rings and was thus able to become commercially viable.

Looking forward to sharing the journey!

A Star Vader is a machine robot that a driver operates, part of the Operation Star Vader S Programme started by the Canadian Government to defend their energy infrastructure projects. I'll save that for another day.

Moving on.

I want to talk a bit about my story project. The first concept artwork came in today so I want to share it. I'm not sure what to think of it just yet.

Boy and Dragon
    Boy and Dragon
    boy_and_dragon-2 copy.jpg (184.87 KiB) Viewed 940 times

He's racing against the clock to recover his stolen identity AND get back to the train. Otherwise he'll be trapped in the world of the Inbetween.
    Last edited by DDGmail on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    ConnectionDeck

by ConnectionDeck » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:34 am

@DDG

I totally love the Canadian themes! You should start a separate thread we can discuss the project in, so we don't take over the category thread.
    Connection Deck - A unique resource for children and the parents, educators, and caregivers who love them.
    DDGmail
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by DDGmail » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:24 am

Where do I start the thread? Which forum? Yes the Canadian theme is very important to me.
    ConnectionDeck

by ConnectionDeck » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:02 am

@DDGmail, "Share your Kickstarter Story" category's probably the best, or "Introduce Yourself"
    Komic Brew
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Komic Brew » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Our next project is in the publishing category. It's an illustrated book for the whole family.
    Komic Brew - your freshly brewed comics!
    http://www.komicbrew.com
    https://twitter.com/KomicBrew
  • UndergroundHippie
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by UndergroundHippie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Fashion - It seems as though not many products are listed here.