Photo-realistic renders for campaigns.
  • ramissin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Photo-realistic renders for campaigns.

by ramissin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:56 am

Hi, I'm a 3d visualization artist working for some guys about to launch a kick-starter project, they have asked me to make some renders for their product.

Obviously I'm finding it difficult to get my head around the "No Realistic Renders" policy enforced by Kickstarter.

Can anyone clarify, or point me to visual examples of what is "allowed" and not allowed.?

Can I be creative with this? can I overlay wireframes and sketches over a realistic render ? I have read a lot about the issue but still to find visual examples of what is considered "realistic".

This is madness btw, pure bloody madness, I can link to a render, but not put one in the product page.

If it IS a render, all that's needed to be done is to put "CONCEPT RENDER" on or around the image.

Instead of assuming people will get confused, simply ask that campaigns assert the fact that an image is a concept rendering not a photo.

It's not a problem for me to do both realistic and concept renders, the issue is it seems some campaigns do have realistic renders

This announces....

Kickstarter simplifies rules, allows renders once more

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/ ... -renders/1

..but liks to a page where it states..

Our community is built on trust and communication. Projects can’t mislead people or misrepresent facts, and creators should be candid about what they plan to accomplish. When a project involves manufacturing and distributing something complex, like a gadget, we require projects to show a prototype of what they’re making, and we prohibit photorealistic renderings.

My business isn't "Misleading" or "Misrepresenting" people it's realizing and visualizing peoples dreams and concepts in a visual manner.

I'd appreciate any info/advice on this crazy ruling.

tia

• hogeandco
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Photo-realistic renders for campaigns.

by hogeandco » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Basically you need to have a physical prototype of some kind. You can't pass off a render as a physically existing object. It can be VERY easy to fool people with a good render, that's why they created this rule. Otherwise, I would throw together a 3D render, back it up with some terminology and science, and post it up.
  • ramissin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ramissin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm not trying to "pass off a render" as physically existing object, nor am I trying to "fool" anyone, a simple disclaimer stating that images are a "3d visualization" of the product would suffice.

I could run a sketch filter over my renders, and then put a link to the photo-real directly underneath or even hyper-linked to the sketch.

There's something "legal" going on here, this is just Kickstarter covering their backs, I can understand why, but still, it's a shame that an essential step in product visualization has received a blanket ban.

Hyperlinks it is then ;)
  • hogeandco
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by hogeandco » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:02 pm

You can still use renders, but they can't be the only examples of your product/project. You must have a physical working prototype for your project.
  • johnnie smith
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by johnnie smith » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:34 pm

ramissin wrote:I'm not trying to "pass off a render" as physically existing object, nor am I trying to "fool" anyone, a simple disclaimer stating that images are a "3d visualization" of the product would suffice.

I could run a sketch filter over my renders, and then put a link to the photo-real directly underneath or even hyper-linked to the sketch.

There's something "legal" going on here, this is just Kickstarter covering their backs, I can understand why, but still, it's a shame that an essential step in product visualization has received a blanket ban.

Hyperlinks it is then ;)

You have some valid points, but as mentioned above, once you state that it's a rendered image - you can do fine.

On the scam part - I don't think that 'this' is the 'the' solution.

Here some folks funded 150k for a project - one year ago - and it's still not delivered :(

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... d/comments
    RFIDsecur
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by RFIDsecur » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Resurrecting this post. We have a physical working prototype of our product and a render, happy to state render on the images, but what is the position can we show renders for sure or not? I have seen many campaigns that do, are they getting through under the radar or can we actually use renders?

Basically we want to use renders to show how the product works, how to use it and what it will look like, i.e the colour finishes. The working prototype pre production model is not coloured so do we meet the criteria or is it strictly no renders period?

so here are two videos one is a renderhttps://rfidcloaked.com/pro one is using the prototypehttps://rfidcloaked.com/pro/k-2/

Would we be ok using the Renders as we have a prototype?
  • srosstrevor
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by srosstrevor » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:09 am

Hi. I will be launching on Kickstarter in March. I have a working prototype. My product is modular and and my prototype shows three of them put together. I had a rendering done that shows 12 of them together. Can I show the rendering along with the prototype?

Thanks you for any feedback.
    Stacey
  • srosstrevor
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by srosstrevor » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:27 pm

RFIDsecur wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:34 pm Resurrecting this post. We have a physical working prototype of our product and a render, happy to state render on the images, but what is the position can we show renders for sure or not? I have seen many campaigns that do, are they getting through under the radar or can we actually use renders?

Basically we want to use renders to show how the product works, how to use it and what it will look like, i.e the colour finishes. The working prototype pre production model is not coloured so do we meet the criteria or is it strictly no renders period?

so here are two videos one is a renderhttps://rfidcloaked.com/pro one is using the prototypehttps://rfidcloaked.com/pro/k-2/

Would we be ok using the Renders as we have a prototype?
    Hi. I have the same issue. I have a prototype and a render. Did you ever get a reply to this? Thanks, Stacey