Should I add a low $ reward?
  • jonfontane
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Should I add a low $ reward?

by jonfontane » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:47 pm

First, the project, http://kck.st/1CGkLTE
    We have brought some vintage Americana into the modern age with our Twist Bullet Pencil.

I decided not to do a low $ reward simply because to me a thank you note isn't that exciting. I had the thought of maybe a $5 level and we send a full size pencil but that didn't excite me. Wanted to hear thoughts on that, should I do a $5 reward level for one pencil, people get a chance to support it but also get something tangible. Oh and they are good pencils :)

• conkwe
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Should I add a low $ reward?

by conkwe » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:49 am

I think $1-Thank-You tiers are great, even if you don't find them exciting. Many people just like to back awesome projects, yet they don't want to spend too much, especially for something intangible. Big or small projects, I always see success in the $1-Thank-You tiers. It wouldn't hurt you to include the tier. You can only gain from it.

And while you're at it, include the $5 tangible tier if you'd like. This would cater to those who can only pledge a little but want a physical reward.

I actually did this for my current Kickstarter, not that my campaign is a great example of success at the moment, but the logic is there and I've seen it done in many successful projects.
    All Natural Herbal Salve Kickstarter Campaign - Ends Nov. 3. Every share, tweet, comment, and pledge is much appreciated!
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:44 am

jonfontane wrote:I decided not to do a low $ reward simply because to me a thank you note isn't that exciting. I had the thought of maybe a $5 level and we send a full size pencil but that didn't excite me. Wanted to hear thoughts on that, should I do a $5 reward level for one pencil, people get a chance to support it but also get something tangible. Oh and they are good pencils :)

Personally, I think that every Kickstarter project should include low pledge levels as part of their overall reward offerings. The reward, itself, is secondary to the fact that it provides a ready mechanism to capture additional people - to increase the size of your crowd.

Rather than give people a reason to not back your project, it makes more sense to me to give people a reason to back your campaign. People back projects for all kinds of different reason. I backed one project, simply because its current backer list numbered 99, and I thought that it would look better with triple digits (100) than with double digits (99). It was more of a drive-by backing, if I may characterize it that way off the top of my head.

Because you have no way of knowing who, exactly, will visit your project page, then it boils down to an issue of preparedness. Magnus has an approach where he is only targeting a certain type or tier of backer, but his approach has an actual strategy behind it.

There are a lot of people who browse Kickstarter casually, and will back projects that interest them. They may be on a low budget, or they may find your project to be of low interest to them, yet still be willing to back it.

Ultimately, it's your project. You decide the approach that your project takes.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • jonfontane
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by jonfontane » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to give it serious thought.