Hello, aspiring game developer here.
  • JackT1977
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Hello, aspiring game developer here.

by JackT1977 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:41 am

My name is Jack and I am venturing into the brave frontier of starting my own business. I've always been a game and online enthusiast for many years. Finally listening to my wife and inner voice I gathered the courage to leave my mundane career behind and begin my new adventure as a mobile games and apps startup. I hope to meet many like minded people here and will try to be as helpful as I can. I believe we all need to support each other as aspiring entrepreneurs. Hope to get to know you all better!

• SoftTempest

Re: Hello, aspiring game developer here.

by SoftTempest » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Hello, and a warm welcome to you, JackT1977. I am also married to a newly-minted mobile game app developer, and the company is called SoftStorms LLC. In fact, we have an active Kickstarter campaign going (just peek to your right and you'll spot the Halloween Chronicles children's fairy tale project, a prelude to a mobile game). I will check out your Kickstarter campaign, and either support it directly or get my wife to do do. Perhaps, you can also support our campaign. We had an earlier, successfully funded Go Pharaoh mobile game Kickstarter (app under development) in July, so we may have some insights to share. Good luck.
  • SoftTempest

by SoftTempest » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Oh, JackT1977, I guess you do not yet have an active Kickstarter or other crowdfunding campaign as yet. Anyhow, hope you can still support us, and feel free to contact me privately if you wish.
  • PlayBetterWorld
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by PlayBetterWorld » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Good luck on your campaign! We too are interested in developing games. We are currently crowdfunding for our do-good online game for children. Our game is based on the concept of teaching children the impacts of their actions. For instance, children get rewards for positive attitude and positive actions in the game. This is a great alternative to the violent games children often play.

If you have a moment, please check out it. Thanks! http://bit.ly/ABWfKKS
  • JackT1977
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JackT1977 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:04 am

I will def check out both projects, thanks for the welcome and best wishes.
  • Gareth Craven
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Gareth Craven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Absolutely awesome stuff you're a career you want to be in! It's can be hard fighting the flow and becoming a success off your own back but no doubt worth it in the long run. You mentioned having a mobile games and app start-up, would love to hear a bit more about it as an entrepreneur with a start-up myself!

I also appear to be the only person here who isn't in the game development industry, what's it like working in that kind of market? :)
  • djphlange
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by djphlange » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 pm

best of luck bud!
  • SoftTempest

by SoftTempest » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Hello again, to all. Jack, what kind of mobile games (genre, if you will) are you gravitating towards, as an entrepreneur? And, do you as yet have any deployed apps? We just canned our offshore developer, and now are about to hire another to complete our first game app in time for the upcoming holidays. Our second app is well underway, and we will soon start a Steam campaign and, in January, yet another Kickstarter to fund it. Gareth, welcome to the party (more like a labor of love). Changing train of thought, I checked out all the VIP projects featured here (disclaimer: ours is the Halloween Chronicles, #4 down). Seems like the hoped for mutual support, even in the form of nominal $1 pledges, is not materializing. One hand washes another.
  • dmullin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by dmullin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Good luck to you, Jack. As Indie Game developers, we know the excitement and fear of venturing out on your own. We just launched our Inidie Game KS today. I look forward to seeing your first project up on KS.
    Wunderverse, Adventures From Your Imagination http://bit.ly/wunderversekickstartergo
  • JackT1977
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JackT1977 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:32 am

Was out of town for a while sorry for late reply. @playbetterworld great concept and I hope you start to gain the traction you need. As a marketer and brander I do feel as though your project needs a lead character. Especially for children they gravitate towards cute silly things... like Daniel Tiger and Peppa Pig.

@Gareth I'm pretty new to the business but have to start somewhere! I'm still building the team and have mapped our our first project so the art and visual design is being completed as we speak. I hope to get the project on Kickstarter or Indiegogo in the next two weeks, would appreciate any support.

@djphlange Thanks for the support!

@SoftTempest Sorry to hear about that as I can understand how difficult it is to work with people not at shouting distance. I'm actually going to do simple type games like flappy bird but not flappy bird if that makes sense lol. I want the functionality and mechanics to be sound and on point and just something that's engaging. Got to learn to crawl before walking right? Eventually I will target multiplayer games such as Supercell games but that is a long road ahead. I'm always up for collaboration, but as of right now I'm focused on my 1st project and getting that going. Always happy to make another connection and you never know what doors open down the road.

@dmullin Thanks for the wishes you know we need to support each other and I'll take a look at your campaign right now.