How to Reach out to Blogs?
  • bizzlenizzle
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

How to Reach out to Blogs?

by bizzlenizzle » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey, our kickstarter campaign has been running for two weeks now and we're about 30% of the way to our goal, mostly due to one giant donor.

I've tried reaching out to a number of blogs (Gawker, Gizmodo, various film blogs) but so far haven't heard back. Not a peep.

So I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong with it or if anyone out there's got any experience with it and would want to drop some advice. I'm pretty new to this and feeling my way as I go so all help is appreciated.

Interested in any stories, successful or not, and thoughts on how to get blogs interested.

Thanks!

Aaaand here's the campaign-

Odiun is a new kind of video site that seeks to foster creativity by giving narrative work an outlet to promote and distribute itself, free from the clutter of other content.

Check it out and share if you like what you see!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... a-web-site

• jpmckeown
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: How to Reach out to Blogs?

by jpmckeown » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Don't be discouraged, chances are someone read and may remember even if they didn't reply. I use a keyword tracker to alert me to find (possibly) relevant blogs and it does take a lot of time reading through; but some do reply and that's nice.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon May 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Some of the common mistakes I've noticed when doing PR: http://www.crowdcrux.com/pr-mistakes-to ... -outreach/

Ultimately it comes down to:
    - Having a compelling story
    - Having a well-crafted pitch
    - Connecting with the people that you are trying to sell on writing about you (journalist, blogger, etc)
    - Keep at it and gauging your feedback and adjusting your outreach.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:43 am

i.e it's a popularity contest. Welcome to the real world. A blogger from a huge magazine like gearpatrol or gizmodo knows that they have MASSIVE reach and knows what kind of leverage they have. They can easily help make you rich and famous with one simple article. They're the gate keepers...if it was easy, they'd let everyone in, life doesn't work that way. So you gotta work for it.

Little story, I was following a kickstarter project, bimetal creations, they sat at 11,000$US of a 20,000$ funding goal for a long time, with about 5 days left, they got an article in theverge.com, a very popular and current gadget, design and tech magazine. I literally watched them go from 11,000$ to 17,000$ overnight, all this traffic then bumps them up on the kickstarter page and it just feeds on itself, they ended up finishing at 27,000$. No way that would have happened without that article.

It was a scary realization that having the right publicity can make or break your campaign.