kickstarter: how important is the biography?
    MartinT
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

kickstarter: how important is the biography?

by MartinT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:30 am

I see most projects creators providing a 4 line biography at the most.
    Do you know if backers ever check the project creator biography?

Augmented Reality (AR) Virtual Pinboard in Kickstarter http://bit.ly/arpinboard
  • RICSB
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: kickstarter: how important is the biography?

by RICSB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Whether they do or don't play the game as if everything you write is being scrutinized. You never know. You might strike a chord with someone, moderator or not.
  • MattBnB
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by MattBnB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 pm

imo biography is critical. you need to be as personal as possible...not just some big company.

cool looking product and congrats on staff pick status!

need any other help?
    Successful Kickstarter inventors share their secrets...
    Check out Art of the Kickstart .... http://artofthekickstart.com
    MartinT
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by MartinT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 pm

Ok, thanks.

I´ll work more on my biography then.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:06 am

I check the biography (See full bio link), as often times, project creators tend to put better links there than right on the front page of their project page.

Rather than saying that it is critical, I would describe it more along the lines of it serving a useful function - if you bother to make use of it.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • octemberfury
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by octemberfury » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:17 am

I definitely check the biography, but the whole "be a real person" thing is not always true. You don't need to show your face in the video, you don't need to link to your Facebook.. etc.

The biography should just cover things relevant to the project, I'm not going to read your life story. If it's not clear from the nature of the project what kind of person you are, then it's probably a lousy project anyways.

I check the bio for the social media links so I can see their website and hook up with them on Twitter.
    Magnus
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Magnus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:06 am

Man, an interesting mix of replies to this subject - here's my take...

The short answer:

It depends.

The long answer:

It depends ...on what you're trying to achieve.

I approached my first crowdfunding project with the aim of launching more projects and ultimately turning it into a business (almost there now - woohoo!).

I produce reasonably high-end titanium pocket-tools, gadgets and so on - and so my main aim, from the beginning, was to build and maintain a relationship with Backers.

So telling stories and putting myself out there is all part of this.

Here's a copy+paste of my [current] Kickstarter Biography (I don't want to link to it as it will most likely change and this post will seem redundant):

--- Biography ---

Okay, so the slightly-curious part of you wants to know more about me? Well okay.

Here's the down-and-dirty...

I am the self-professed "King of Quality". I have little time for products (or services for that matter) that are anything but the best.

I'm no billionaire...

And because I'm not a billionaire yet - then I really can't afford the "best" of everything in all things. However, I make sure, for what my finances allow - I BUY THE BEST I CAN AFFORD RIGHT NOW!

When I was a kid...

I used to build, make and modify things in our garden shed. In fact, I can't even own a simple ball-point pen without modifying it (it's usually only a matter of minutes before it's in pieces and I'm making the spring stronger or "improving" it in some other way...).

I think it's hereditary...

My grandfather, in the days when cars were rare where he lived, was not content with just having a petrol car - he built some whacky gadget to make the thing run on butane-type gas! (we're talking decades before LPG even came on the scene)

In fact, I'm convinced it's hereditary...

My Father runs not only his car - but the hot water and heating in his entire house - on vegetable oil! (you gotta see it - it'll blow your mind)

Genetics or not...

This combination of only accepting the best in life - together with the inventive/innovative streak that runs through my family - has ultimately led me to start designing and making products that I believe are truly the best money can buy.

So... has this little "bio" given you some insight into who I am? I hope so.

Now it's up to YOU...

Join me in ridding the world of poor-quality, sub-standard products...

If you're reading this - there's a good chance I currently have a Kickstarter Campaign running. If I do - then you can bet your bottom dollar that it's some ridiculously high-quality, Magnus-must-be-insane product.

If you've backed it - thank you! I promise, hand-on-heart, that you will love what you've backed. If you've not backed it - then you really need to decide whether you want the best in life - I'm as serious as a heart attack!

Here's the thing...

Kickstarter is what allows someone like me (who has bucket-loads of ideas, passion, drive and purpose) to take the "leap" from late-night, kitchen-table, back-of-the-envelope type designing and building ...to reaching the "next level" and put my ideas in your hands (literally!).

I look forward to shipping my next product to you!

Magnus

=============
    Read: Confessions of a Serial Crowdfunder Thread.

Titanium Pen *LIVE* On Kickstarter Right Now --> Click Here.
  • reznik6044
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by reznik6044 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:01 pm

I'm struggling with the same question in preparation for my campaign... I think it comes down to establishing credibility. Anything you put on your campaign needs to help instill confidence in your potential backers. So I think a biography is important, but use discretion and ensure everything supports your story.
    MartinT
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by MartinT » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
    As many of you have mentioned, the short answer is: it is important as long as it's related to the project and it serves to establish credibility.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 pm

I think the biography is crucial. It should demonstrate why you are credible, can pull off your project, and ship out the rewards. I think it also speaks to your values as a person and your overall mission with the project.

I think that a paragraph is fine and you can also link to your LinkedIn profile or website if people want to learn more about you.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.