Number of backed projects as an indicator of success?
    TAKennelly
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Number of backed projects as an indicator of success?

by TAKennelly » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I searched the archives, and it is possible I missed it, but nothing came up regarding this topic. Kickstarter shows you how many campaigns the creator has backed right on the front page. My instincts tell me that, similar to a forum post pushing a product or campaign where the poster has never contributed prior to that advertisement, there is a loss of credibility which may lead to a possible drop in success. Does experience lend insight to anyone here as to whether that is the case with Crowdfunding as well?

BenEnke
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Number of backed projects as an indicator of success?

by BenEnke » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Depends for me. If I see someone who's donated to dozens of projects, then most certainly I'm inclined to want to support them as well.

On the flipside, I've seen several projects that have never donated and they've raised hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think it hurts to have previously backed, but I definitely don't think it's an end-all, be-all for a campaign's success. Though I'm sure it turns some people away.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 pm

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think it hurts to have previously backed, but I definitely don't think it's an end-all, be-all for a campaign's success. Though I'm sure it turns some people away.

Yea, I agree with BeEnke. I have also seen creators make pledges as a way to network with other creators for cross-promotion. There was a big "I'll pledge $1 for your campaign if you pledge $1 for mine" thread on the forum a few months ago.

I think not backing any projects could turn off some people, but like Ben said, there are also campaigns that are very successful that haven't backed any projects.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    BumptoBaby

by BumptoBaby » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Projects that haven't backed any other projects do make me curious, though in the end I would back them if I really liked the idea. That being said, a person who has backed a decent number of other projects would push me over the line if I was undecided.
    http://kck.st/1ptmiZX A creative hand painted pregnancy countdown. A fun, beautiful way to follow baby's growth. A unique gift. Part art, part journal.
    TAKennelly
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by TAKennelly » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:11 pm

So it sounds like the number of projects backed really has no relation to the success of the project (or if it does, it's tenuous). The more I think about it, that makes some sense - there is an idea of community with Kickstarter, but there seems also to be an overarching theme of getting something for a small investment. Thanks for the insight!
  • TAVOLO
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by TAVOLO » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 pm

I agree, backing a project seems to help... I'm just a rookie though so I can't say I know too much about it.
  • WillyIsWilly
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by WillyIsWilly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

Oof. I've backed many flops over the years. I always wonder, when exactly is it time to cry foul? I skimmed through a list of the greatest kickstarter board games that have been backed recently, and although most deliver on all their promises some don't entirely.

https://gamehungry.com/most-successful- ... ard-games/

If a game delivers on 90% of it's promises but still misses the mark on one of their reached crowdfunding goals (like pre-painted minuratures for example), is that grounds for a refund?
    nomlinz
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by nomlinz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:36 am

I agree with Salvador. There's nothing conclusive about this. As there are creators who are also backers in other projects, there are successful campaigns with creators that have never backed another campaign.
    Hi! I run the popular blog Crush Crowdfunding and have helped people successfully raise over $7 million on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Get the proven step-by-step system to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign: http://bit.ly/crushcfhandbook
    nomlinz
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by nomlinz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:37 am

I agree with Salvador. There's nothing conclusive about this. As there are creators who are also backers in other projects, there are successful campaigns with creators that have never backed another campaign.
    Hi! I run the popular blog Crush Crowdfunding and have helped people successfully raise over $7 million on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Get the proven step-by-step system to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign: http://bit.ly/crushcfhandbook
  • charli55
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by charli55 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:58 am

You know, I would Finance any project I liked. In my opinion, it depends on the person. Some look at the quantity, and some at the quality. You know, I was faced with a situation when my friend called me in horror and said that it will be followed for several days by the number 1010. And this is only because his project was 1010,which not the first person decided to support. It's funny that he's watching this. So, he started looking for what this number means and came across an article https://www.sunsigns.org/angel-number-1010-meaning/ and I was convinced of the correctness of my actions, because this means that you will gain wealth through higher spiritual energies. I'm going to ensure that you don't have to bother for such trifles.