Marketing on Facebook
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Marketing on Facebook

by sbriggman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:53 am

Would like to get a thread going on Facebook marketing tips. Seems like it's an area that many people struggle with due to edgerank.

Help everyone out: Share one tip you've learned from marketing on Facebook below

Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Marketing on Facebook

by sbriggman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:56 am

My Tip: Focus on engagement and reach over an extended period of time (per week). Just because one Facebook posting doesn't drive a lot of traffic to your page, doesn't mean Facebook can't over an extended duration.

It's sort of become a pay to play game with facebook marketing if you don't have high engagement. If you have 1,000 likes, it's *likely* that your posts will reach a small fraction of that number. The more engagement they see (likes, comments, re-shares), the more reach they will get.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by diynf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:01 am

This is a great post Sal. I was feeling slightly disappointed with Facebook because I felt that we received more support and sharing via Twitter over Facebook. But I think that´s great advice to up the engagement with more likes, comments, and re-shares, etc.

My tip: Connect Facebook with another venue, such as Twitter or a blog. That way you are combining two outlets and doubling the support that you can receive. I could be wrong about this however--as I mentioned, I don´t feel as though Facebook users have been as receptive as Twitter users. However I do plan on taking your advice Sal. Thanks again for the tips!
    -Sally
  • vatman
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by vatman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Yes, I think the engagement over a prolonged period of time is key. Also, combining to your Twitter feed is a good idea. Like with other outlets, ( think of TV ) posting it is best to post at different times during the day to reach people you otherwise wouldn't. Posts often get lost in the shuffle and by posting during different times, you reach a different audience. I also wouldn't be afraid to post multiple times during the day. Sure, some people may be irritated with your constant posting, so it does come at a risk. But, ask yourself this, what do the large companies do to us on TV everyday? Yes, it's annoying but it does work!

Another thing that I am toying with doing when I launch my kickstarter project, is to send direct messages to people on Facebook. This, of course can be time-consuming, because you would need to do send the message to each individual person. My thought process is that people respond well to direct messaging. If I ask them each to share the message on their Facebook wall at a specific time, I think it can reach a lot of people, all at once. This is just a plan I am thinking about doing but I think it could be beneficial. If anyone has tried this, has any tips for doing this efficiently or reasons why they don't think it will work effectively, please let me know :)
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by diynf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:39 am

Hi there Vatman,
    I agree with you with regards to posts getting lost in the shuffle. It isn´t advised to posts multiple times but I find it beneficial to do so. It may seem annoying that a person has a lot of posts but when they are personal and not just some automated message, I think it sends the overall message that that person cares. You definitely reach different audiences depending on the time of day that you posts so I´ll be sure to continue posting throughout the day.

I don´t think thats a bad idea with sending personal messages on Facebook. The only downfall as you pointed out is that its time consuming, but I do think it would pay off. I think people are more likely to respond to private messages, just basing this off of personal experience. In any event, I wish you the best of luck with Vatman.
    -Sally
  • cyberdan
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by cyberdan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Great tips, I'm using Facebook as a build up to our launch by posting updates, images, getting votes from friends and acquaintances on different aspects, for example what image we should use as the main picture -- that way you're not cold calling once the campaign is launched and everyone can see and appreciate how much work you're putting into it and hopefully back and share the campaign.
    Our Kickstarter campaign is LIVE ~ Never scrape ice off your windshield again http://bit.ly/icescreen

T: [url]twitter.com/icescreens[/url]
    FB: [url]Facebook.com/icescreen[/url]
  • RICSB
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by RICSB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm wondering if sending personal messages to your FB friends and very politely asking them to send a personal message to all their FB friends and just mentioning something along the lines of "Hey, I gave a dollar" type message would have a ripple effect? I'm not really sure this will have any impact, but I will start with my list of friends and send a personal note--note a blanket e-mail-- to each friend and make it as personal as I can.
    Inventalator
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Inventalator » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:09 pm

You need to engage people to like, share, and comment because like you said, that increases how often it will pop up. It get's pretty annoying when Facebook just doesn't post them on fan feeds.
    Inventalator.com - Crowd Intelligence Platform for Product Development

Click here and use access code - kickstarterforum - to join our community instantly!
  • ARHicks00
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by ARHicks00 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Use the promotional options for your fanpage or marketing they have there. It is a lot cheaper than it was back in the days of Myspace. You can reach a lot of people with 20 dollars over 4 days. I reach 1,000 with 30ish dollars. Also look for people who will be interested in your project. Just know that for every 10 people you introduce to your project, only 6 people may actually be interested, but only half that may support your kickstarter.
    Dark Souls is an awesome and unforgettable comic, be one of the many to get your first issue of 2014 best comic.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... dark-souls
  • jmeshe
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by jmeshe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:57 am

I have been so surprised to see most of the traffic to my website and kickstarter is from facebook. I used to think it was a black hole where you post something and no ones sees it. I would encourage people to not give up on it! Try different ways of reaching out to FB. I've been changing my FB profile picture to do with something related to my project each week of the campaign.
    Mug Life Project—https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jmeshe/mug-life-project/