Preference for Backing
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Preference for Backing

by diynf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 am

Hi all, its Sally.
    Decided to post a question.

I´ve read in different forums that it is good to back other projects, not just for the joy and satisfaction that comes from supporting your fellow Kickstarters, but it also supposedly makes your page ¨look good¨if you have backed other projects. So, when it comes to backing projects, do you prefer to A) back a project you like (seems like a no brainer), B) back a project that is close to reaching their goal and needs a push, C) back a project that is popular or ¨trending¨, or D) back a different type of project?

Just curious so feel free to leave some responses =]
    -Sally

Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Preference for Backing

by Charles » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:31 pm

diynf wrote:Hi all, its Sally.
    Decided to post a question.

I´ve read in different forums that it is good to back other projects, not just for the joy and satisfaction that comes from supporting your fellow Kickstarters, but it also supposedly makes your page ¨look good¨if you have backed other projects. So, when it comes to backing projects, do you prefer to A) back a project you like (seems like a no brainer), B) back a project that is close to reaching their goal and needs a push, C) back a project that is popular or ¨trending¨, or D) back a different type of project?

Just curious so feel free to leave some responses =]
    -Sally

Currently, I've backed 41 Kickstarter projects, and I've probably done so for 41 different reasons, although there may be some overlap, as there is typically more than just one reason why I back a given project.

I think that whether you've backed other projects before or not (have a history as a backer, yourself) likely impacts the amount that people are willing to pledge, more so than whether they will or will not back your project, outright, based upon that particular consideration. But, that's only a gut feeling of mine, nothing more.

I've backed projects that I liked, but I've also backed projects that have "connected" with me in some way, shape, or form. Then again, I've passed over backing projects that I like, or which have connected with me. So, what guides the selection process?

Personal whim, to a degree. I really don't think that what makes people decide to pledge can be boiled down and distilled, quite so easily. If you like something, then it has appeal, but often times, thing that you don't like still have appeal.

Of the choices that you provided, option C is the least likely to move me to pledge.

When I look at a project page, I will often look at how many other projects that a creator has backed - but, whether they have backed other projects or whether their history of doing so is bone dry, it doesn't tend to have any noticeable impact upon whether I choose to back a project or not.

But.....everyone is different, and for some, it may likely be a major consideration - especially if they have endured the rigors of running a Kickstarter campaign, themselves.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 pm

There are a few responses covering some of these questions on this thread:

why-do-people-back-kickstarter-projects-t2766.html

One interesting thing to note is that I don't back projects because they are trending, but I tend to notice them if they are trending and therefore am more likely to pledge just because I know about them.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    nixiart

by nixiart » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 pm

I just backed a great movie called Dream Girl. I backed it because I think that it will be a great documentary but also because at the time they seemed to need a push and I wanted to see them succeed. They have since passed their goal.
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by diynf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 am

Yeah, its a difficult question to answer because there is such a huge range of projects out there and reasons for backing will vary as Charles mentioned. I guess I ask also because many people will say that they don´t back projects based on popularity or how many backers the creator has backed, yet that´s usually the first place that people look. So it´s funny to me. I almost wish I could remote control into someones eyes like the IT guys and see what they see first, the mission/goal or the numbers. In any event, support is support and its nice to see everyone supporting one another, whether that´s through backing or simply sharing. =]
    -Sally
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by diynf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:29 am

sbriggman wrote:There are a few responses covering some of these questions on this thread:

why-do-people-back-kickstarter-projects-t2766.html

One interesting thing to note is that I don't back projects because they are trending, but I tend to notice them if they are trending and therefore am more likely to pledge just because I know about them.

Thanks Salvador,
    That thread was interesting. Its nice to see the different reasons people pledge for particular projects. And I especially like your quote in the beginning of the thread from another user about supporting projects not just because of funding but because you genuinely want to support an idea you would like to see exist in the world. Very true. I think that was the basis of this thread, it doesn´t really matter what ones preference for backing is--what matters is the genuineness with which they go into backing. Thanks, as per usual, for the interesting reads.
    -Sally
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:58 pm

diynf wrote:Yeah, its a difficult question to answer because there is such a huge range of projects out there and reasons for backing will vary as Charles mentioned. I guess I ask also because many people will say that they don´t back projects based on popularity or how many backers the creator has backed, yet that´s usually the first place that people look. So it´s funny to me. I almost wish I could remote control into someones eyes like the IT guys and see what they see first, the mission/goal or the numbers. In any event, support is support and its nice to see everyone supporting one another, whether that´s through backing or simply sharing. =]
    -Sally

You want multiple visual elements on a project page, so that no matter what the page visitor's eyes gravitate towards first, there will be other things eying for the eyes' attention. That way, people are likely to linger on your project page for a longer amount of time, to take in what their eyes are finding to be visually interesting.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • SomewhereOutThere

by SomewhereOutThere » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 pm

I am trying to think of more visual things I can put in my project page. I mean most of my photos are of the tokens themselves in various places and I feel as if that might get boring. I do have some photos of my 'workplace' such as it is. If I can come up with some new sort of photos to take that would help. Racking my brain!
  • ProgressiveProducts
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by ProgressiveProducts » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:41 pm

How about a photo of a person holding up the token with a big smile. You could do a series of them.
    The Orb is a unique precision machined spherical keepsake container.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/87 ... n=a603a790
  • SomewhereOutThere

by SomewhereOutThere » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Yeah, I have a couple of them. But technically, I don't see the people who find them so I don't want to give people the impression that I know who the tokens are going to.