Squatch Kick - Looking for a Bigger Kick?
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Squatch Kick - Looking for a Bigger Kick?

by diynf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:27 am

Wow, nice post @Charles. I definitely agree with you on some of these issues, especially a process that assists with the initial Kickstarter however as Salvador stated, they have begun working on a process as you described with Squatch Kick. You seem very informed though Charles so I would be curious to see what your project is, upon you writing it ofcourse.
    -Sally

Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 am

Interesting discussion that I thought I would input:-

Basically, I try to figure out what's wrong, to unearth areas of weakness of deficiencies, so to speak, and I comment on project pages, which is where the articulation part comes in. For many project creators, I think that they are either just so busy, or just so new to it all, that they miss or overlook some fairly fundamental things.

A useful resource - project creators are too close to their projects and sometimes can't see the 'woods for the trees' - in addition, friends try to be supportive, so are not as critical as they could be. An outside voice is very useful and I have used and found Charles to extremely helpful - and the adage 'cruel to be kind' springs to mind!

I think that project creators, man of them, anyway, are in need of both mentorship and assistance. Obviously, no one really wants to invest time and energy in a project that goes nowhere. Project creators want to meet the funding goals that they set, at a bare minimum.

Agree, with the caveat that a lot can be learned from failure.

So, how do you create something like that for a near-infinite variety of different project types? Even assuming that it can be done, how much time and energy and expense is required, in order to accomplish such? Furthermore, even assuming that one can create such a thing or process, how many projects can it handle within a given amount of time

It probably can't be done, but there are a number of key factors that are common to all projects! If you look at the Crowdcrux articles or the forum - key issues crop up time and time again. i.e. Proper Planning & Budgeting; A Great Video; Clarity of Message: Original Outstanding Rewards; Rallying Family & Friends; Getting a Great Start: Working Tirelessly Throughout.... etc etc

That is probably where consultancy comes to the fore....

If somebody is tweeting project after project after project, day in and day out, week in and week out, month in and month out, year in and year out, how does that not get old to the people reading those tweets?

A pet hate of mine....... Social Media is all about good content - is tweeting and re-tweeting the same stuff constantly good content? Not IMHO. Is there any value in this sort of activity? Again not IMHO? I think that you are much better off having a phone call to a potential backer who knows and trusts you, rather than tweeting out to 5.000 strangers.

To me, it all boils down to quality. People want quality connections with quality audiences.

THIS

people allow themselves to fall into the trap of thinking that they simply need to mimic what other projects have done, in order to strike gold with their crowd funding undertaking.

Yet, the actual reality is quite different form that, I think.

So very true - take the best of successful projects by all means, but tailor it with passion to your own project!

Best wishes,

Andy
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by diynf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:57 am

Andy_Sinclair wrote:Interesting discussion that I thought I would input:-

A useful resource - project creators are too close to their projects and sometimes can't see the 'woods for the trees' - in addition, friends try to be supportive, so are not as critical as they could be. An outside voice is very useful and I have used and found Charles to extremely helpful - and the adage 'cruel to be kind' springs to mind!

Hi Andy,

I agree that its extremely helpful to have an outsides point of view on the project. Friends and family, as you mention, will sugar coat and may not be as critical as they can so it helps to have an outsider come in and take a look. Constructive criticism is difficult to find as I feel that most people are either expressing their dislike or like for a project. ¨Cruel to be kind¨indeed. Great post.
    -Sally
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:34 pm

diynf wrote:You seem very informed though Charles so I would be curious to see what your project is, upon you writing it of course.-Sally

I don't have a project.

That aside, why do I strike you as being "very informed?" I think that that is a rather generous characterization - perhaps more than a bit too generous.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:48 pm

That aside, why do I strike you as being "very informed?" I think that that is a rather generous characterization - perhaps more than a bit too generous.

Stop being so humble :D
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Andy_Sinclair wrote:

It's not an exercise in humility. Salvador Briggman, now he's very informed on the subject of crowd funding. Me? I'm fairly new to it, and I wouldn't describe myself as very informed on the subject - certainly, not at this point in time, anyway.

I joined this forum on July 28th, 2014. That really wasn't all that long ago. So, not a lot of time has passed to enable me to school myself on the subject of crowd funding.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 am

The first episode in our Making Tracks series of articles is now up on the Squatch Kick website.

Making Tracks (Episode # 1) - Periodyx: An Elemental Card Game!

One of the things that I have decided to do, where the Making Tracks articles are concerned, is to draw from Kickstarter projects listed here in the KickstarterForum.Org forum. That way, it reduces the overall size of the pool from whence these particular category of articles are drawn, while simultaneously giving crowd funding project creators another reason to post here in this forum of Salvador Briggman's.
    diynf
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by diynf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:19 am

Charles wrote:
    Andy_Sinclair wrote:

It's not an exercise in humility. Salvador Briggman, now he's very informed on the subject of crowd funding. Me? I'm fairly new to it, and I wouldn't describe myself as very informed on the subject - certainly, not at this point in time, anyway.

I joined this forum on July 28th, 2014. That really wasn't all that long ago. So, not a lot of time has passed to enable me to school myself on the subject of crowd funding.

Being very informed in general, not necessarily about the topic. And I said that because of the way you speak, rather the way that you type--which made me feel as though you were well informed. Perhaps you don´t know anything at all but you know how to make it seem like you do lol, I´m not sure. Just was saying that you sound like you have an idea of what you would like which is really quite wonderful. =]
    -Sally
    Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:32 am

Charles wrote:
    One of the things that I have decided to do, where the Making Tracks articles are concerned, is to draw from Kickstarter projects listed here in the KickstarterForum.Org forum. That way, it reduces the overall size of the pool from whence these particular category of articles are drawn, while simultaneously giving crowd funding project creators another reason to post here in this forum of Salvador Briggman's.

Nice idea! I think that it is important that we put something back into Sal's site given the huge amount of useful crowd-funding information there is on Crowdcrux.

Andy
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Andy_Sinclair wrote:Nice idea! I think that it is important that we put something back into Sal's site given the huge amount of useful crowd-funding information there is on Crowdcrux.

Andy

Drawing the Making Tracks articles from projects listed on this site's forum was a last minute invention. Glad that you like that aspect of it, though, Andy.

One of the dilemmas that articles of a critical nature are faced with is whether project creators will share them or not. If not, then is there a point to writing them? I concluded that the Making Tracks articles are intended to help other project creators, and not just the creators of the particular projects being spotlighted via this series of articles, so it made sense to me to go forward with Making Tracks, with that in mind.