Help Make a Girl Smile!
    RWP

Help Make a Girl Smile!

by RWP » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:46 pm

I plan on starting a Kickstarter Project! It will be completed around late October - early November. All I want is to make a girl smile! If you have any ideas/tips/comments go ahead and leave a reply! All help and comments are appreciated. Here's how my project works:

I've known this girl for awhile and most people can tell we like each other, but whatever right? Well I'm ready to actually show her how much I like her. At first I was just going to but her a rose, but after I thought about it... that was a bad idea. I want to give her something that will last. Something bigger than just a rose that will end up wilting and dying. So I decided I would fold her an origami rose!

I've been messing on Kickstarter for awhile. I've backed a couple projects and even had my first project successfully backed! I decided I should have another project... and that's where my origami rose idea came in. I originally wanted to fold her 12 origami roses, but since I'm on Kickstarter I know that my project needs to be deemed worthy by the rest of the world. So I stepped up my game! My goal is to fold 500 of these origami roses! 500?!?! Yes, 500 and I made sure that I have enough time to complete this. My financial goal is to earn $125 so I can purchase the different types of origami paper (which I recently found out is much more than I first expected).

Here's how the pledges will work:
    $1 - A thank you
    $5 - 1 rose will be given to this girl.
    $10 - 3 roses given and your name will be written inside of 1 rose.
    $25 - 10 roses. You're name written in 3. I will also right any message you choose in 1 rose.
    $50 - 25 roses. Name written in 5 and a message left in 3 roses.
    $75 - I will record her when she gets the roses so everyone can see her reaction!

Thanks for looking and I want to know if you all think that this is a good project idea. Would you back it? Would you enjoy watching a recording of her? Should I have actual rewards and if so, any ideas? Hope to hear back from you all soon!

• larrymurk
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Help Make a Girl Smile!

by larrymurk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 pm

RWP,

Kickstarter projects and relationships can be very fickle endeavors. Good luck with your lady friend and your project.
    Please check out my kickstarter project 1 Ounce Pure GOLD Coin

Larry
    RWP

by RWP » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks Larry! I hope that my project does good and I appreciate you posting some feedback :)
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:07 am

RWP wrote:So I stepped up my game! My goal is to fold 500 of these origami roses! 500?!?! Yes, 500 and I made sure that I have enough time to complete this. My financial goal is to earn $125 so I can purchase the different types of origami paper (which I recently found out is much more than I first expected).

What's she going to do with 500 origami roses?

Why don't you just list that as one of numerous possibilities, depending upon how much money that people pledge to support the core concept - which is helping you to make a girl that you like to smile.

Why would I, to use myself as an example to illustrate a point, want to pledge any amount, at all, so that you could subject yourself to spending the amount of time necessary to fold 500 origami roses? I would rather pledge to have you create 500 different origami objects, not so that you could create an army of paper rose clones.

Marie Osmond sang a song titled, "Paper Roses," if I remember correctly.

Not that that matters, of course, but I thought of that, just now.

Not to belittle your affinity for origami roses, but what is far more likely to appeal to a far greater number of people is the underlying story. If you only like her, then why 500 of anything? Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote a great poem which poses the question: How do I love thee?

You're a brave man, if you intend to use crowd funding to surprise the object of your like-limited affection with five hundred origami roses.

So, is it friendship that you're trying to sell the public on? Or is it romance? Or is it love?

Either of the three can form a strong foundation for a crowd funding project. How do you intend to make your story stand out from the rest? By impressing either the girl or the public with 500 paper roses?

Whether the roses in question be real or paper, it's what they symbolize that matters most. And what, pray tell me, do these roses - whether one or five hundred - actually symbolize?

Is your goal to raise one hundred and twenty-five dollars? Or is it to make this girl smile?

Somehow, I get the feeling that it's not just her smile that is at issue, here. Of course, it costs you nothing for me to be wrong on that specific point.

You concluded that buying her a rose was a bad idea, yet you then concluded that inundating her with hundreds of unreal roses was a good idea?

Maybe it is.

Maybe.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 am

You concluded that buying her a rose was a bad idea, yet you then concluded that inundating her with hundreds of unreal roses was a good idea?

Maybe it is.

Maybe.

:D Maybe
    RWP

by RWP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Andy, Maybe haha.

And Charles, you definitely made a great point. Thank you so much for saying that. It lets me see a backers point of view and I understand completely. I was thinking about this:

Instead of having a huge number of origami cloned roses, I'll find out some things she likes and go from there. I really do appreciate you commenting, it helps me a lot. You can click on this link to see what I have so far: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... n=ae772097

I want some creative suggestions, because 500 roses... what will she seriously do with them? That's a lot and I'm thinking most of them will end up thrown away since there are so many.

Maybe I could just make her 20 and then use different pledges for creating different origami figures. Of course I would make sure to have limited amounts of pledges on these that way she isn't getting bombarded with origami! I'm also thinking of mailing out some of these origami objects to the people who backed this project so they can have a way to smile too!

More suggestion will greatly be appreciated! And tell me what you think of my project so far! (It's not actually live, just a preview)

Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Doe she even like origami? You may be making her frown!

Andy
    RWP

by RWP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:39 pm

I actually just thought of something! Charles wrote this,

"You concluded that buying her a rose was a bad idea, yet you then concluded that inundating her with hundreds of unreal roses was a good idea?"

Well hundred of these roses might not be a good idea. So maybe I can have different types of roses! I can maybe draw her some roses, paint her roses, etc.

I also remember Charles asking what these roses represent. Well I'm not exactly sure. It's somewhere stuck between friendship and romance....
    RWP

by RWP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:40 pm

Good point Andy, she has been interested and amazed when I create origami in front of her, so I'm only assuming she enjoys it. I'll ask her though, better to be safe than sorry!
    RWP

by RWP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 pm

The title of my project is "Origami Roses For A Girl" but I'll probably change it to "Let's Make Someone Smile". Using this title I can make it to where the focus is more on the backers than this girl. I could allow the backers to choose a type of rose that is sent to them in the mail so they can give it to someone! They could choose from origami roses or a drawing of a rose or even a painting! I'm just throwing out all the ideas that are flowing into my imagination. I really do think that would sit better than me just making something for a girl. Any opinions?