Who wouldn't want to get cloned?
  • karlmizen
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Who wouldn't want to get cloned?

by karlmizen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Karl Mizen and I have just recently launched my first kickstarter campaign.

I have had mixed reviews but the campaign itself is moving along nicely.

My product is a personal time capsule that allows you to store your DNA. link below...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1658240293/clone-8284-the-personal-dna-time-capsule

I think the hardest thing I found about launching on kickstarter was the video. There are some amazing campaigns on kickstarter and I think the video has alot to do with it. I am from the North East of England (I'm a Geordie) and lets just say, my accent does not make for a great tv presenter (although some have managed it!) I tried hard to film something that looked and sounded professional and something that the masses could actually understand, but I just couldn't get it to work. In the end I used what skills I had to make a very basic video that would just get the message across and used the written part of the campaign to get the details to the masses.

The beauty of the kickstarter set up is the feedback and already I have been making tweaks to the final product. I have input regarding what metals to use what colours people want and a whole host of ideas of what people want to put into their capsule with their DNA.

I have 40 backers so far and I'm sure more to follow.

Just thought I'd introduce myself and my campaign.

Thanks

Karl

Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Who wouldn't want to get cloned?

by Charles » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:21 pm

I like this idea, even though I don't care about being cloned.

Honestly, my gut instinct tells me that this project will likely get funded. Just call it a "feeling."

That said, one part of your project page that caught my eye was where it says:

The basis behind this project came from the idea that one day (as horrible as this sounds) planet Earth will die! No seas, no trees, no poor bumble bees. Hopefully by then, our decendants will be living on a cool starship, hovering around a new sun but chances are, it ended with a bang! Wouldn't it be great if you could leave a small piece of yourself behind, just enough to come back should the right someone/thing find you?

Uh, it is predicted that, eventually, the sun will become huge, and expand in size past the Earth. Or am I mistaken about that? So, if it does, a few billion years from now, it will probably vaporize this item, as well. But, by that time, who will complain?

I don't think that I will back it, as I view it to be a novelty, albeit one with some merit. But, I want to back it, which is a strong indicator to me that it has some degree of base appeal.

Also, you misspelled "descendants."
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • karlmizen
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by karlmizen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks for your reply Charles,

Yes I think you are correct regarding the Sun, my main point is that one day, however it happens, something will go seriously wrong in the world. The project is a bit of fun and can be looked at as a novel product but saying that we are still trying to produce this capsule to last as long as physically possible.

Great spot on spelling... so much for proof readers!

Thanks again.

Karl.
  • Charged Wallets
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Charged Wallets » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:30 am

hello

love the idea.
    can you put some more info graphic type images on the page i found it was allot to read and most viewers will probably get bored or stop reading pretty early.
    Charged Wallet - Powerbank wallet with built-in cables
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/44 ... lt-in-cabl
    Dremico Evans
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Dremico Evans » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:23 am

It's certainly an interesting idea. I'll share it. There is one flaw that I would point out. I would not continue my current/ending life, I would only start over again. It wouldn't be me, it would be a new me not connected to myself lol. Now, if my memories could be preserved and put into a new "me" body THEN I would be super happy!! Good job!! it's certainly worth taking a look at it again.
    Scylla
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Scylla » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Hahaha this is one of the most coolest ideas I've seen, and unique too!
    I don't know if I'd want to get cloned though!

Good job though!
  • gymtone
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by gymtone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:22 pm

For me there is the fantastical concept and the realistic concept behind an idea and/or product. This one weighs heavily on the fantastical aspects, since as some have already noted, the end of the world will most likely mean, the end of DNA.

However, in terms of as a novelty item, similar to let's say - The Pet Rock - a product such as yours could gain some traction.

I just don't think you should market it as a serious intention by citing the end of the world etc. It would be best served as a gag gift type product.

I've launched a product as well. You can check it out if you'd like:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56 ... nav_search
  • AltaChurch
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by AltaChurch » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Hello,
    This is an excellent concept of clone, I had visited over recently launched product name ‘Fancy Clone’, where you can explore trendy things, and you can easily create your album here in which you can put all your favorite stuffs. Apart from storing all your related stuff here, you can also shop it.
    Fancy clone is the cool collection of trendy things, it is one of the best product of Rebrandone.
    For more info about this brand and their product, click on: http://www.rebrandone.com/store/products/fancy-clone/
  • WormPie
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by WormPie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Love the idea! Good luck with your project!
    BumptoBaby

by BumptoBaby » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:23 pm

What a beautiful project, creative idea and a nice take on the time capsule. The gift for someone who has everything :) I'll be keeping my eye on this project!
    http://kck.st/1ptmiZX A creative hand painted pregnancy countdown. A fun, beautiful way to follow baby's growth. A unique gift. Part art, part journal.