How long should you promote before you start your campaign.
  • MattBnB
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: How long should you promote before you start your campai

by MattBnB » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:46 pm

at least a week, maybe two. it is really the number one thing people underestimate nad biggest error all the entrepreneurs I have interviewed say.

Successful Kickstarter inventors share their secrets...
    Check out Art of the Kickstart .... http://artofthekickstart.com
    trexrell44
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by trexrell44 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:31 am

I plan to do my real campaign by the end of the month so I'm starting a soft one with prefundia other platforms. I'm getting a little practice building awareness. Is this too early? Or am I doing the right thing. I want to get people aware now. Than 2 weeks before I want to promote the exact date.
    KickStartAdvice
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by KickStartAdvice » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Campaigning about your project is one thing, while building an audience is another thing. You don't want your project to launch in secret, nor should you hide what you are doing to "surprise" your supporters with a project.

Well before you launch a project, you should be building up support on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and wherever else you feel your audience is. This should be going on months before, at the least 2-5 months ahead of time, if not longer.

As far as letting people know about your upcoming campaign, I think it's something that should be mentioned well ahead of time as well as you'll be able to reach more people and get more interest over time. Not to say you have to be campaigning and constantly talking about it for months, but briefly mention what you are planning on doing, dropping hints, wetting the interest in an upcoming project. Then once your project is all set and ready to launch, do some more heavy campaigning and posting about your upcoming project. This would be the two week period you mentioned, where you basically count down the days until launch.

The trick is not to bore people but keep it in their mind. You want them to be looking forward to it and not suddenly spring it on them. I had a project I cold launched and well after we finished (and luckily were funded our meager goal), I still had people who didn't know I had a project at all. If I had campaigned ahead of time and not cold launched it, these people would have more than likely been additional backers/supporters!
    General crowdfunding advice and support for projects here! Questions? Feel free to ask!
    trexrell44
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by trexrell44 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks for that info. From what you have said we are doing all the right things. I am struggling with some aspects of it. I believe one of the toughest part about everything is reaching a wider audience than we have previously done. I'm in the pre campaign phase and I am kind of already feeling a little nervous and anxious. This will be my third attempt and I really do not want to fail. Or waste my time doing unnecessary things.

I feel like going on every outlet or platform could be exhausting and time consuming. I have been reading some very general information and applying it the best i see fit for my project.
    coolinvent
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by coolinvent » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:49 pm

I think it's best to start promoting thru Twitter and Facebook then try to get a feel for possible bloggers in your space. But, from what I have seen a lot of projects do a "pre"promotion to bloggers (probably that they're familiar with) and tell them the day it's going to launch. That's why you see a lot of projects launched that get press right away. It's crowdfunding and all about the "crowd" - so the more people you have talking it up, the more successful it will be.
    trexrell44
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by trexrell44 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:33 pm

That is excellent news. I wanted to start sending out emails right away. Right now I am looking to get someone on fiverr to write my email over to get it to garner so much more attention than last time. Right now I'm going through Launch rock (which is a strong possible way to get attention from my family and friends). I have a few select individuals on forums I visit that are strong contributes because they did it before. I really feel as though they are more dependable than my family though. How important is it to get your family involved I wonder.
    Inventalator
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Inventalator » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:20 pm

To emphasize what everyone else is saying, it depends on the channel and the types of engagements. You need to build the right hype at the right times to hit them with your project at peak engagement.
    Inventalator.com - Crowd Intelligence Platform for Product Development

Click here and use access code - kickstarterforum - to join our community instantly!
  • Emotion-APP-Appeal
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Emotion-APP-Appeal » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:48 am

I just wonder why you should not just have a longer funding period during which you drive potential contributors to the campaign instead of doing pre-launch promotion. As far as a pre-launch promotional strategy is concerned in my case, I already had a version of the app in stores to which I was trying to drive traffic. In addition, I had a supporting website and blog and twitter account. I've been trying to tap these channels for support.
    deema78
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by deema78 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 pm

sbriggman wrote:"A 2D, story driven sci-fi fantasy RPG with a theme of discovery, and a comic based art style. Returning to the roots of JRPGs."

A design contest could be interesting. The blog (or social media) content is usually meant to sort of reel in new supporters for a product launch, so I would begin to brainstorm by considering the following:

- What types of people supported the game in the past and what do they like to read or learn about? For example, maybe browse some subreddits and look at what posts are getting upvoted. Maybe up-and-coming RPG designers want to learn how to make a game and sharing resources that you find to be helpful in making a game would be good.

- How can you solve problems that readers have? For example... a lot of RPG designers are now thinking about running a Kickstarter. The problem is they don't know what it's like or what to expect. Doing a post-mortem might be useful to them and get you some new readers.

Another example would be that maybe someone looking to get into the community of RPG gaming design doesn't know where to start so a post like this one (the one I did on MMO) might be helpful: post10108.html?hilit=mmo#p10108

The contests could be a way to get amateur designers in front of a larger audience or be entertaining.

Using this as a blanket example that you rock and I am glad as hell that I found this site cause you are killin it with the good advice and in depth discussions. (my third post, very eager to post my initial queries, should be some doozies)
    Blood type O Negative, I bleed zeros and ones...

Splinter - Anything Can Be Anything (DL page)
    http://deema78.deviantart.com/art/Splinter-Installer-2-286117715

Splinterface DL gallery
    http://deema78.deviantart.com/gallery/36153887/Splinterfaces