Is there anything wrong with my KickStarter campaign?
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Is there anything wrong with my KickStarter campaign?

by Charles » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Additionally, do a web search for your own project. Look for opportunities to claim your own project on those other sites. Here's one example:

http://thecrowdfundingcentre.com/?page= ... id=71X37J#

Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • SoDaptor
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by SoDaptor » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm

I do need so get some more filming and photography done, but until then I will work with what I have. I'll take my son out shooting this weekend and do some filming. Using what I have though, I just re-vamped completely, adding in elements from your suggestions and other responses I've received.

I tried to make it more fun and bring it closer to playing with rockets, then supporting kids, even though that is also a large part of the campaign. I think it feels more responsive.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Victor,

I decided to pay your KickStarter project page another visit. I pondered whether to increase my pledge (I had pledged only a single dollar, just to increase backer list another notch). So, I decided to do that, to go ahead and make a bigger pledge, even if it would still only be a relatively small amount.

That's when I clicked on the Manage Pledge button started looking for a better pledge level to go with. I ended up not clicking on anything. You've got some low level pledge levels that had a very limited number of pledge opportunities. One thing that made me decide to not then upgrade my pledge level to a higher amount was that you didn't have things geared toward ready to go options. What if the one looking at your KickStarter project page, deciding whether to back your project or not, doesn't want to actually build a rocket, for their first launch?

It just struck me as an area that you might want to consider.

Additionally, I think that Magnus made a good point about the focus on schools. Personally, the project holds zero appeal to me, as far as "helping" schools go. My interest in it is as a father, and as an individual. In a nutshell, it's the fun aspect that appeals to me.

I went looking for something, recently, to give you a visual reference for adjusting your approach to visual imagery for this project. I really do think that the core problem for this project lies with the visuals and the marketing, and not with the core product, itself. Your number of backers and funding isn't moving very much of late, and even if this attempt at KickStarting fails, I hope that you will consider launching a second attempt at a later date - but, with a different approach.

Check out the following link, when you get a chance:

http://www.seasky.org/space-exploration ... -menu.html

It doesn't have any great visuals on it, but the links that are listed on it do. Space mission patches! It's something that you could probably so, and you don't have to buy actual patches, but they could make great (and colorful) visual advertisements for your product.

You could even challenge people to design their own patch and send it in, to be displayed on the project page and/or your website.

Very colorful, very imaginative, and a way to get people engaged in the concept, itself. You could even start a SoDaptor Club, complete with its own SoDaptor Newsletter.

You could issue challenges, challenging people to design bigger and better rockets that work with the SoDaptor.

You might also want to include some video on your project page of those big guns firing the rockets off. Why? Because it would be interesting and fun to watch, I think. It would be another reason for people to spend a longer amount of time on your project page.

SoDaptor Mission Control Headquarters - Join the space race!
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • CatDuo
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by CatDuo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:55 pm

Grammar mistakes:
    The SoDaptor is a simple kid-friend rocket launcher

kid-friendLY?

Made of tough rugged and durable plastic can last a lifetime

*that* can last a lifetime

It's more healthy to be outside playing with a SoDaptor than reading this KickStarter

Kickstarter is a pronoun

Dad's love to jump on them and see their paper rocket go 300'

Dad's is possessive. "Dad's rocket launcher." | Dads is plural - "Dads love rockets."
    TRY: An adult averaging 175lb can get as much as 300 feet of air with a single pounce

Your bulleted list of "Why SoDapter?" seems jumbled, repetitious and lacks organization.
    Suggest market sectors:

Educators:
    teach lessons on geometry, physics, aeronautics, recycling
    low-cost solution to adding value to your lesson plans
    challenge your students to innovate based on this basic technology (aerodynamics, pressure, geometry)
    experience the joy of a field trip while staying on your own field

Families:
    take the SoDapter on vacation
    hours of playtime fun for all ages
    easy to store
    reusable and recyclable materials
    makes a safe and fun party activity for birthdays, carnivals, special events, etc

You talk a lot about the visibility of this product in schools, but I see no proof.
    You should have an event day and film it... "Such and Such Morning School" and then get kids' reactions. You would need support from parents, teachers and the school, of course.
    The biggest thing your page is lacking is the toothless enthusiasm of a kid talking about how this thing is just the greatest rocket simulator ever.

Another marketing point: many school are unfortunately strapped for cash and lack proper funds to provide learning materials around the S.T.E.M. curriculum. For a mere $19 pledge, you receive 40 ready-to-go lesson plans around rocket launch. And because this is a crowd-funded project, if I don't meet my goal, you are under no financial obligation to fund it. **- You can CALL up administrators and pitch this line**

To add to this point - where are your school endorsements? Where are the teacher endorsements? Who have you been reaching out to day-in-and-day-out to get this project the visibility it needs. Every public school has contact information for their administration, start there and ask for referrals. "Can you think of anyone else I should talk to about this project?" OR "Because this is a crowd-funded project, our success lies in getting as many educators on-board as possible. Can you help me with that?"
    This market isn't very tech-savvy, so expect more than a few conversations explaining what crowd-funding is.
  • Emotion-APP-Appeal
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Emotion-APP-Appeal » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:32 am

I just got the impression, and this is merely an impression, that the campaign involves getting kids to scrounge around for bits and pieces to create a rocket, not having to buy anything to do so. Perhaps I was blinded by my own experience in Jamaica in doing so and missed the funding imperative of the pitch. As a result, the request for funding seems strange. This could be due to the positioning of the elements in the video. You might need to make it clear the pieces cannot be obtained but through buying them from a store, and for that, you'd need funding.