Getting Ready to Launch
  • JayRM
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Getting Ready to Launch

by JayRM » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi guys! I just found out about this forum a few weeks ago and it seems like a great place to help out on each others projects! I've been working on a project for almost four years now and I'm hoping to launch soon! For me, the road has been particularly challenging, so if/when I can manage to launch the kickstarter campaign and the company, I would like to help others out to make their journey a little easier. So, feel free to send me a message if you get stuck on something; maybe I can help.

My name is Jay and I'm a mechanical engineer with some CNC experience. The project I've been working on is a six-wheeled patented skateboard designed with snowboarding characteristics. The concept itself is not new as there are three other companies that manufacture something similar (but two companies have the same design as the third). However, my design is built in a completely different way. Right now, I'm in the middle of working on the kickstarter content, including the rewards, and we are also in the editing process of the video. We're also prepping to film for more skating footage on upgraded parts. So, I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. Please feel free to post here, or use the webform that I just created. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

http://reincarnatemfg.com/kickstarter/

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello and introduce my project. Thanks guys!

Our Kickstarter campaign is now live! http://www.reincarnatemfg.com/kickstarter/ Snowboard-like skateboard with no bindings!
    sabinsacrifice
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Getting Ready to Launch

by sabinsacrifice » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Hey there, Jay!

I just checked out your project! I really like the idea of a skateboard that can be used liked a snowboard! Pretty cool! I'd never ride one of these personally, because I'd probably bust my ass! Lol......but I could see this being something really cool for people who do skateboard! Keep up the good work, and I hope you succeed in your goal!

All the best,
  • thereisaman
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by thereisaman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:43 pm

That is the coolest thing I've seen. I've done a little snowboarding and it literally looks like he's snowboarding down a hill. That is incredible. Possible to do a split screen with a snowboarder so people can see just how identical it seems.

The $25 + $10 shipping for the T-shirt is kind of a killer. I may swing $25 for a T-shirt but another $10 for shipping seems like a lot. Can you talk to a fulfillment company and see what a more accurate price would be? Seems like you're trying to make profit off shipping. Even something like $8.50 seems like an actual shipping cost and not a money-grab (not that I believe it is).

I, personally, am never going to be able to read all that technical stuff. Could you put a summary or bullet point list that really pulls me into reading it all.
  • JayRM
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by JayRM » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 am

Thanks sabinsacrifice! There are some skateboarders who don't really like any hybrid skateboards, but I'm sure some people out there will like this one, at least I hope so.

Hey thereisaman! Yes, it's all still a work in progress. I will definitely bring down the costs as much as I can, and still revising the content as I've been told that it reads a little dense. I'll definitely keep your comments in mind when I revise. At the moment, my main focus is the video.

Thanks guys, for your comments!
    Our Kickstarter campaign is now live! http://www.reincarnatemfg.com/kickstarter/ Snowboard-like skateboard with no bindings!
  • gharlev
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by gharlev » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Jay,

The product looks awesome!!
    Two feedbacks regarding the video itself:
    1. I would make it a little shorter. I'm not an expert but I think most people like to watch short videos.
    2. I would try to find an experienced snowboarder to demonstrate so he or (preferably) she can deliver to the audience the cool feeling.

Anyways - best of luck and have a fruitful campaign!!!
  • chriscarrier
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by chriscarrier » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 am

Very nice, Jay. I don't skateboard at all, but I do love snowboarding. Unfortunately, I am most busy during the winter for work so I miss out a lot. This may allow me to "board" a little up here in the Bay Area during the sunnier summer months. Good work. Looking forward to it although I may have to find someone that is capable of installing the trucks and wheels.

Chris
    Presa Mobile Wallets
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pr ... le-wallets
    PRESA Mobile Wallets - Introducing Fine Leather Wallets to Smartphones Everywhere
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/presamobile/presatm-fine-mobile-wallets
    Rocky Studios
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Rocky Studios » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 am

Great idea! This is something that has a lot of uses in many places, good luck with your video! That can be the most fun and yet most daunting part :)

~ Rocky
    ~ Check out our project for a Realistic, Survival, strategy board game:
    https://www.facebook.com/Rocky.Studio.Games.2
    We will be launching on Kickstarter this month!

=========================================================
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:12 pm

1. You're aiming for a hundred grand, so you had better go into this with some wind in your sails. Your company's website has over five thousand Facebook likes. Hopefully, you can convert this into an initial wave of support to get your project launched with some degree of momentum.

2. But, you want more than just numerical momentum. You want to achieve early visual momentum. When people click on your Kickstarter project page, it had best reach out and slap them, visually. Wow them, to grab their attention, so that they will then want to read the text that you throw at them. You really should consider hiring an artist - more than one, preferably. Your current set of visuals are interesting - but, they aren't exciting. Excitement feeds momentum. It i a force multiplier for it.

3. Toward this end, you should have multiple different full mock-ups complete, if for no other reason than to allow you to utilize photographs that translate into visual interest and visual variety.

4. Your boards, themselves, aside, consider using an artist to craft a look for your Kickstarter project page, art on top of the art for the boards. People often fail to consider fully the value of art created specifically for their Kickstarter project page, itself. Everything is toward a common purpose, including how your Kickstarter project page looks.

5. Create multiple videos, and have different people putting your boards through their motions. Why? Because, each person will likely have their own style and preferences, where riding is concerned. You are after the imaginative - so have some real hotdogs put the boards to the test. Skateboarding is an art form unto itself. The core of that artform is in the individuals, not the boards. The boards don't do they work. They merely facilitate what the individuals do.

6. You have a YouTube channel. Populate it with videos.

7. Spend some time just looking at your Kickstarter project page. Scroll down it really fast. It looks bland, at a glance. You need to hype it up with some vibrant colors. Currently, your draft page is bland, personified. Visually, the text aside, it doesn't make me want to linger very long. For a hundred grand, you need people to spend some time on your project page.

8. Populate your page with some photos of other people. You will look less lonely on it, that way. You will be trying to sell this project via social networking, and wanting people to share it. Make it look fun, exciting, full of vigor and youthful energy.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • Withipad
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Withipad » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03 am

All the very best of luck great project
  • JayRM
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by JayRM » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:40 am

chriscarrier, Rocky, withipad.. Thanks guys!

Hi gharlev, Your comments are noted. I will forward to videographer. Thanks!

Hey Charles, thanks for your comments. Yes, I'm currently looking for someone to improve the visuals as it is not my forte. Hey, I tried. And yes, I'm definitely lacking in videos. I currently work full-time so progress is rather slow, but I'm trying to get there. Great comments! Thanks again for taking the time to review!

-Jay