What is your day job? What is your passion project?
  • kerrymhickman
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: What is your day job? What is your passion project?

by kerrymhickman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi Guys,

My name is Kerry and I am very new to all of this, so please be gentle with me :D

My day job is in Sales for a hotel chain. It is interesting and it keeps me busy, but I find that I am constantly distracted and sneaking off, trying to find ways to launch the project I am most passionate about… Corporate clothing. I HATE what I have to wear for work, it is so mundane and boring, so I have decided to launch (or try to!) my own (small) line of suits! I have launched my project on Kickstarter today, although I am very worried how it will do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

jakegoforth
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by jakegoforth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:57 pm

I currently work at a fly-fishing store in New Orleans. However, my wife and I are preparing to move to Italy to do some work.

My project is a wallet called TravelLite. After being fed up with bulky wallets, I decided to create my own. Even some other Tyvek wallets are too bulky, so I made the smallest Tyvek wallet on earth.
  • jonmusick
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by jonmusick » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:55 am

Days, nights, weekends... I'm an entrepreneur, and one who is, lately, getting a crash-course in online marketing from people like you. "Who need's Twitter?" I asked myself, believing the answer was one of rhetoric, 'No One.'

Only lately I'm beginning to realize, all those things I had rejected: Facebook, Pinterest, et. all, are only hobbies until the're not. Right now I'm paying the price for not playing along, for thinking I'd do my own thing. Even as I barely created a FB page, and why? Only because it could, in theory, pump up the exposure so that, God willing, I can keep doing what I'm doing.

My passion project is to turn this house into a factory, a place where useful things are made en masse without all the overhead. We're making some indestructible, reusable science kits for classrooms that'll last for 10 years. Better: something that won't bankrupt the school in the first place. We'll be able to outfit an entire classroom for $190 flat.

But you know what? I'm straight up terrified. I'm beset by thoughts that this is going to fail. My stomach flutters over the prospect of being defeated, again. I just devoted six weeks designing and building this thing, 12 hours a day. I forgot to eat today. My wife just texted me, and I nearly lied to her about it.

My wife and I have spent this last year on the razors edge, teetering between success and failure, and landing somewhere offside in some kind of grey limbo-area. Now, we're trying to fix it. I hate sales, I want to be a manufacturer.

I like you, Mr. Briggman, and this is why: It looks like you're actually trying to help people here. That's what I want for me, and this company. Companies are only supposed to exist to serve. A company that doesn't is like a Kia Pride with a spoiler, serving no purpose of than to increase drag on the vehicle. And here you are, doing us a solid...

I'm sorry, man, the last thing I want is for this to devolve into a rant because I'm a nervous wreck about our project that's about to go live in a week. To make it up to you, I won't do anything as shameful as link to it.

-Jonathan Musick
  • ColoursB
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ColoursB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:37 pm

My day job is Creative Director, which I absolutely love. I also have a weekend job as a veterinary assistant, another love of mine.

My passion project is a combination of the two, the Animal Abuse Defence Registry (http://kck.st/WBaNUh).
    Helpmeplz
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Helpmeplz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:35 pm

My day job is at work in a studio: editing, occasional directing, and a lot of odd's and end's. My heart is at the vision dropped in my spirit to Change the World with the power of hope. So I'm trying to start a series... and this will be my second KS attempt. I'm so excited. I hope I can do better this time... trying anyway.
  • Alex14
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Alex14 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 pm

My day job is being a nanny and tattoo artist. (not at the same time)

My passion is music and dance though. That's why I'm working so hard to get my album and music video done!
  • cgreen116
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by cgreen116 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:51 pm

That's great Kumbricia. I am a copier technician by day, but I like writing as well. I have one novel (fantasy) that I am finishing up. (On my final edit before I begin submitting.) I also have about four other novels that I am slowly fleshing out. I guess that is more of a side hobby though. My interests really lie in all natural, Eco-friendly farming which ties into my kickstarter project to open a community store based in local goods and building strong interdependent relationships.
  • cgreen116
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by cgreen116 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Alex14 wrote:My day job is being a nanny and tattoo artist. (not at the same time)

My passion is music and dance though. That's why I'm working so hard to get my album and music video done!

Ok, kids pull up your sleeves... :D
  • Alex14
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Alex14 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 am

haha. Wouldn't that be something!
  • cgreen116
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by cgreen116 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

Alex14 wrote:haha. Wouldn't that be something!

Your next Kickstarter project may be titled something along the lines of "Raise bail money for my release." ;)