My first Kickstarter...and does email really work?
  • dlewis1212
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

My first Kickstarter...and does email really work?

by dlewis1212 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:43 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Dee Lewis and I am gearing up for my first ever crowdfunding/Kickstarter project, a webseries called, "The Confessions of a Witch Bitch", it's a "Bewitched" meets "Mean Girls"...at work type of story. We are 2 weeks out and I am nervous as all get out. Lol. I've been working with a strategist and a good part of my time has been spent writing and scheduling personal emails to friends and family - upward to 400. I also have close to 4,000 other email addresses that we are going to do a general send out with because we don't know those people as intimately as the first bunch, plus there is no way I can craft that many emails, lol. Yes, it has been grueling, but from everything I've read, they say that email is king.

I would really like to know your experiences with email. Did you find that, that was your strongest asset to get the ball running or what?

Thanks in advance.

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: My first Kickstarter...and does email really work?

by sbriggman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Moved this thread to the questions section.

I would really like to know your experiences with email. Did you find that, that was your strongest asset to get the ball running or what?

I've included some threads below which might be relevant.

I have received 99% pledges from direct emails. My Facebook network knows about my project and have viewed the video 162 times. I only have 22 pledges and 21 were from direct emails to people I know. I have sent out at least 100 direct emails and most people say they will back but have not so I have to wait patiently and not re-post to their timeline which I have not done.
    Read more here: post8840.html?hilit=email%20roi#p8840

The other thing I did, in email appeals and on Facebook, was to ask over and over for people to share news of the campaign. In fact, the was the entire call to action of one email: "I'm writing to ask you for one thing: please share this campaign with your network on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, your blog, wherever you use social media." And I offered a reward to anyone who shared the campaign and told me they'd done it. It worked.
    Read more here: post9258.html?hilit=pledges%20email#p9258

. I can share that the best thing so far in raising funds for fH is to reach out via Direct Emails. Get a list going. Write down 50 to 100 people. Imagine getting married and you have to invite people to your ceremony that you are paying for. These people are your close friends. You can interact with them more casually than most people. Be passionate about your project. I have received 22 pledges by emails and 1 only by direct search on KickStarter.
    Read more here: post8885.html?hilit=pledges%20email#p8885

The pledges came from indiegogo and social media - people have mostly heard about our campaign via facebook or from emails sent by my team or from people who have passed along the emails we sent.
    Read more here: post8847.html?hilit=pledges%20email#p8847

Hope these help!
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • dlewis1212
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by dlewis1212 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Thank Sbriggman!

After I posted, I wondered was it in the wrong section. My apologies. And thank you!
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Definitely. Hope the threads are helpful. If not, let me know and I'll try to direct you somewhere else.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.