Where do Kickstarter backers come from?
  • DwayneLindsay
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Where do Kickstarter backers come from?

by DwayneLindsay » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:41 pm

What if you have 0 friends lol

• DwayneLindsay
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by DwayneLindsay » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:53 pm

I found it hard when starting my campaign even finding a category for building a website. Does it even exist?
  • JayRM
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by JayRM » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:45 pm

Any data on the demographic of backers on kickstarter? I'm getting messages from people who want to purchase, but would rather wait until the campaign is over as they do not seem to trust pledging/purchasing through kickstarter.
    Our Kickstarter campaign is now live! http://www.reincarnatemfg.com/kickstarter/ Snowboard-like skateboard with no bindings!
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Everyone should make sure to put an Event in the facebook calendar. This will insure that ALL your friends will see it as opposed to just a % from a regular wall post.

@ Dave's Meat & Nuts - That is an awesome suggestion. I had never thought of that. Along with the event announcement standing out better than any post could, you might even have people who respond "Attending" which could give you the push to contact them directly!

A little known fact about a lot of successful crowdfunding campaigns is that they presell the products before launching the project and then get those presold customers to flood kickstarter/indiegogo the day of to push the popularity of the project. :twisted:

@ leftsharq - Yes that is definitely a proven strategy, especially for tech products.

Any data on the demographic of backers on kickstarter? I'm getting messages from people who want to purchase, but would rather wait until the campaign is over as they do not seem to trust pledging/purchasing through kickstarter.

@ JayRM - With our tech product campaign, our demographic of backers was UNANIMOUSLY software engineers. In the tech space of Kickstarter, we learned that there are people that troll Kickstarter all day to find the next new/big tech toy. That was something we did not really know about prior. It does make a bit of sense that people who spend all of their time on computers as their job are likely to be hawk-eyeing the new things in their field.
  • David_the_North
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by David_the_North » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm

During my campaign that I ran lat year, most of my funding came from people scrolling kickstarter, and those that I reached out to through my social media. I hear the same from other. What I don't see any support from really are google+ groups. There seems to be a lot of members, but I don't see anything put links to campaigns. Don't see a lot of feedback or any type of discussion going on in these groups. Am I just looking at the wrong ones?
  • SimonLB
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by SimonLB » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:46 pm

For projects I'm concerned with (video games), most backers come from news readers from larger organiziations. My goal is to build a following over time with social media to maximize the chance I'll get news exposure, and build more legitimate contacts. Posting in niche internet forums and emailing people directly (for example) had a decent bump, but didn't spread nearly as far as a gradual campaign.
  • aknicholas
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by aknicholas » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 pm

For my current project, 65% are from Kickstarter.

A great number of outside backers are from the download area of my website where people from my previous project are collecting their reward, then turning around and backing my current project. I have a few who have backed all 5 of mine.

3% from Facebook

Less than 1% from category popular (I have the #4 most popular photobook on Kickstarter, but this doesn't seem to count for much)

20% from "watched project launched" although I'm not exactly sure what that is.

Project link NSFW: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... edge-of-pa