What to do when backers cancel at last minute of funding
    coolinvent
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

What to do when backers cancel at last minute of funding

by coolinvent » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Anyone come across the situation where you're 64 hours to funding and people start backing out? That's what's happening to us now. Might not reach our goal after all has been ordered and almost ready to ship.

nixiart

Re: What to do when backers cancel at last minute of funding

by nixiart » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 pm

Wow that's awful, do people donate when they think things won't work and then withdraw when the realize that they have to pay? Anyway, you will be fine, you're over your goal and I'm sure that you can hold on to the end, Great campaign.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Well, it all goes back to the saying of, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

The fact is, sometimes, people simply change their minds. That's true about many things in life. Crowdfunding projects are not immune from people changing their minds.

It's also one of the reasons that you should persist, and not slack off. It ain't over 'till it's over, as they say.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Yes, I have also seen this happen before. You will also likely experience a percentage of backers who backed you and then their card may not charge or it might take them a week or so to fix their payment.

The best way I've found to combat this is to send a message thanking every person who backs your project. That way, you will have a way to communicate with those backers should they choose to pull their pledge and ask them why. Otherwise, they will be lost and it will be much harder to find their contact information.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:31 pm

coolinvent wrote:Anyone come across the situation where you're 64 hours to funding and people start backing out? That's what's happening to us now. Might not reach our goal after all has been ordered and almost ready to ship.

Sixty-four hours is a little more than two-and-one-half days. When do you think that the deadline for people to change their mind about funding a project should be? If people have the freedom to choose to back a project, shouldn't they also have the freedom to change their mind and to choose to not back a project?

I decided to look at Kickstarter's Terms of Use. Under section five, a couple of things stood out to me:

5. How Funding Works

These are the terms that apply when you’re backing a project:
    * You can change or cancel your pledge at any time before the project’s funding deadline (with one exception). You can increase, decrease, or cancel your pledge at any time during the campaign, with one exception. During the last 24 hours of the campaign, you can’t decrease or cancel your pledge without contacting customer support first — if that action would drop the project below its funding goal. Once the project has been funded, you can only cancel or change your pledge by making special arrangements directly with the creator.

These are the terms that apply when you’re creating a project:
    * Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. Don’t assume you’ll be able to launch your project when you want; there could be a reason we’re not able to accept it, or a problem that takes time to resolve. Don’t assume you’ll be able to immediately collect your funding; there may be a delay between the end of a successful campaign and your access to the funds. And don’t take any actions in reliance on collecting any of the money pledged until you actually have the ability to withdraw it from your account and spend it.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    Inventalator
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Inventalator » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:58 pm

That is a bummer but everyone has their reason. Part of operations I suppose, you're always going to have those customers that just quit out of the blue!

Best approach is to just keep selling selling selling and beat your goal by enough to have that wiggle room!
    Inventalator.com - Crowd Intelligence Platform for Product Development

Click here and use access code - kickstarterforum - to join our community instantly!
  • RT VEGAS
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by RT VEGAS » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:43 pm

I had that happen with my last KICKSTARTER.
    It was a small pledge and I was posting on his Facebook page every day of my campaign.
    I felt he did a lot for me by letting me 'spread the word' on his page.
    (o:
    RT Vegas
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/29 ... ny-comic-c
  • KFH
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by KFH » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:16 pm

coolinvent wrote:Anyone come across the situation where you're 64 hours to funding and people start backing out? That's what's happening to us now. Might not reach our goal after all has been ordered and almost ready to ship.

I am shocked a little that this has happened. I guess you cannot ever assume how someone operates and I guess after all it is their money. It just gets awkward and stressful at our end. I dont think I would back out of a campaign to be honest but perhaps it was an impulse pledge :/

Insightful though as I just lost a pledge yesterday and I could go to sleep! eek! I just have to keep at it and no waver in my belief that I have a good project!
    Connecting designers and manufacturing to the high street and to the general public, using tea to create a social aspect to bridge the two. Support us here! >>http://kck.st/1tJWeGN
  • Falyon
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Falyon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:26 pm

I have had this happen to me. In the final 48 hours of the project (so far), I've had 5 backers cancel.

Again, I know it's their money, but it's pretty tough to stomach.
    SDJ-02: Self Drying Jacket: https://t.co/IliIqax9eT