US citizen but living outside US
  • ammon
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

US citizen but living outside US

by ammon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Hello guys.I plan to start a campaign to Kickstarter and I have some questions to ask.I have American and Greek citizenship and I live in Greece.I have US social number and a bank account at an American Bank.The question I have is the following
    i)Do I have to open a company to get the funds from kickstarter?I intend to give gifts to the backers that I will make them in Greece and ship them.Do I have to get an invoice from Greece for the gifts that I will produce so that the production cost will be deducted from the full amount that I will collect?
    ii) Where I will have to pay taxes?To Greece or to US?The gifts will be produced in Greece and will be shipped from there to the USA.
    iii)If I want to run more campaigns and collect more than 20000$ it is necessary to open a company?It has to be registered to the US or it can be registered to Greece?
    Any help will be highly appreciated!!!

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: US citizen but living outside US

by sbriggman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:58 am

Disclaimer: My thoughts do not constitute legal advice. I would recommend consulting a lawyer and an accountant about your questions.

"Do I have to open a company to get the funds from kickstarter?" - No

"Where I will have to pay taxes?To Greece or to US? The gifts will be produced in Greece and will be shipped from there to the USA." Yes. Likely some form to both, but I'm not sure. Do you have a US residence?

"If I want to run more campaigns and collect more than 20000$ it is necessary to open a company?It has to be registered to the US or it can be registered to Greece?" - You don't need to open a company, but I would suggest doing so.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • ammon
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ammon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:49 am

First of all thank you for your reply.I don't have permanent US residence.I have some relatives in US but my residence is in Greece.The company you suggest me to open should be a US based company or Greece based?
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

I would really consult an attorney and accountant. If you end up raising a lot of money, you want to make sure you're covered from a legal/tax standpoint.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.