Is it morally acceptable to fund your own Kickstarter?
    legend
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Is it morally acceptable to fund your own Kickstarter?

by legend » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:24 pm

I don't see an issue with it though as others have said, if you can afford to fund your own company's development it's a little pointless.

GeorgeMemoryStoria
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by GeorgeMemoryStoria » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:11 pm

Kickstarter would now allow that. However, you can put as much pressure on friends and family to back you as you can get away with.
    Create a digital book of your life stories with MemoryStoria. Or give it to a loved one. Do it for Christmas!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/me ... ur-life-st
  • ufbdydngdbbdy
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ufbdydngdbbdy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 pm

I see this is an old post but...

I think it's fine to fund own project.

For most investors, it's better to see an owner making more contribution to one's own project than making less as it motivates an owner to succeed. After all, owners of new business or projects would want to involve external sources to fund their initiatives for amounts exceeding what they can afford, unless they are crooks looking to run away or to take unreasonable risk with someone else's money. To protect investors against such crooks, kickstarter-like companies emerged to provide escrow service between investors and project starters.

Whether a person contribute $50 then ask to raise $50 on kickstarter for a project or a person ask to raise $100 then contribute $50 to own project, a person is only raising fund in excess of one's own contribution; and the entire $50 raised from the public is secure via kickstarter escrow in both cases.

I think it might be even a better thing to ask for the entire budget via kickstarter and make all of one's own contribution via Kickstarter as it might be a good way for investors to see how much financial risk a person is taking in one's own project.
    Graven_Industries
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Graven_Industries » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:36 am

Though you can't directly fund your own Kickstarter I think it's fair to give money to a friend and have them pledge. You're investing in the future of your project's success at your own expense. However, I think it is probably wrong to have them pledge a very large amount and then use that as part of your promotion. At that point, you're just being dishonest since it's no longer a "backed" project and more of a "look at me" project.
    My Kickstarter - Chasing Madness: https://tinyurl.com/chasing-madness