Figuring out your conversion rate - really important!
  • pbsanford
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Figuring out your conversion rate - really important!

by pbsanford » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:05 pm

I just discovered this - how to see how many people have clicked on your ks page. Then you can divide that number by the number of pledges you have. That shows your conversion rate.

This is important because, as far as I can tell, the ks dashboard shows only how many times the video has been watched and the percent of those who have watched it to the end. I was initially disappointed because that was a large number compared to the pledges I received. Then I realized I should try to actually try to find a way to see the page traffic.

Unless I've mis-read this, we can use [url]bitly.com[/url], put in the ks short link with a + at the end and bitly shows the metrics on page views. I did that a few minutes ago to find that, even though the video was viewed over 150 times, the page traffic was only 7 times. I have 7 pledges - a 100% conversion rate. Maybe things aren't so bad!

You can get your ks short link by clicking on the <>embed link just under your ks video. Try it and see what you get.

Is there something I'm missing here? Has anyone else tried this? Right now I have no confidence that I'm using this properly. Anybody know?

• SuperSara
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Figuring out your conversion rate - really important!

by SuperSara » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 am

Great question. I am sold on creating a bitly URL as soon as we launch, so thanks for the reminder. It does seem suspect that your video was viewed 150 times but the metrics are saying 7. I hope someone with more experience will clear this up. ;)
    Sara L.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... nav_search
    Because everyone should be able to enjoy a delicious cream cake!
  • johnnie smith
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by johnnie smith » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:59 am

Doing analytics is an art. sort of.

If you only rely on one source of outside traffic - the one shortened URL is sufficient.

But if you have setup multiple channels to drive backers to your KS page - you may wish to use multiple shortened URLs for each channel.

Although you will not be able to tell your ROI for each - it only covers traffic and not pledges - you would at least see where the traffic came from.

Would be interesting if a tool (such as google analytics) could be used in the KS page itself, including the pledge button. Kicktraq only shows page views.

Or use a Landing Page

See: 3 Reasons to use a landing page for your Kickstarter campaign
  • jrichardphillips
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by jrichardphillips » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:01 pm

That works great if you only have a single link floating around. Getting anywhere near a realistic number is going to be quite difficult. Facebook and Twitter links may shorten in their own way, as well as media and anyone else trying to track clicks for their own use.