Developing followers and backers
    Ken Peavey
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Developing followers and backers

by Ken Peavey » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:57 pm

I've been promoting my website over the past couple of weeks, splashing a link here and there on reddit, twitter, facebook groups, and personal emails to relevant bloggers. Traffic on the website has increased, alexa gives me a US ranking of 753,465, which is pretty good progress for what I've done. I'm making contact with more people all the time, but there is much more to do.

I think what I'm doing is attempting to gather minions and followers, with the thinking that if I have people already aware of my existence it should make it more possible to find the thousand or so backers needed to make a crowdfunding campaign successful.

I'm wondering how many followers I need.

I see Paul Wheaton with 27k forum members get 1200 backers for playing cards.
    There's the blogger with the viral video of the homeless man. His video has 25 million views, his campaign has 5k+ backers in a few days.

There is no formula for this. Is it possible to gauge the appeal of a crowdfunding project? I can see the number of Likes, shares, retweets and upvotes to my posts. This gives me an idea as to how popular that particular post is, but I'll be a tiny fish in a big pond for a long time.

Crowdfund project one day: The Natural Growing and Small Farm Reader
    http://farmwhisperer.com/natural-growing-and-small-farm-reader
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Developing followers and backers

by sbriggman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:08 pm

"gather minions" haha.

One good way to gauge the appeal of a project is to look through the comments section of other projects and see what kinds of responses people are getting. You can also add a + to the kickstarter shortlink of a project to get some traffic stats .

I think it depends on the quality of the followers and how much your project or product meets one of their needs.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.