What size and inclusions for a investment property build?
    SsCoobyDoO
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

What size and inclusions for a investment property build?

by SsCoobyDoO » Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:11 am

I am looking to build a house as an investment property in inner ring Brisbane suburb on a 400m2 splitter block. Looking at doing a double story build, 4-5 bedroom house. Mainly looking to rent it out so don’t want to over capitalise, but want to have it decent enough, so that is is attractive for sale in future.

How big do you suggest building and what sort of inclusions would you recommend? I am thinking at doing either something 260-270m2 or go a bit larger around 320m2.

Looking at some house plans, there’s options for a media room or a guest room downstairs, which do you think would be more attractive. I was thinking going for an extra bedroom would be more attractive than a smallish media room.

Any recommendation on particular big box builders in Brisbane to go with, that has good lead times?

• MarissaMcconnell
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: What size and inclusions for a investment property build?

by MarissaMcconnell » Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:57 am

if its investment, whatever size an dformat you choose, use hardwearing surfaces. Dont put wood or veneer floors in. Go tile. Dont cheap out on carpet, but dont get wool (ideally a nylon carpet with a decent 15 year warranty should do). Get stone tops everywhere, even if its cat 1. Dont be tempted to save there ant use laminate bench tops. They will be the first to go.
  • keilecpod
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by keilecpod » Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:19 am

I’d go with tiles instead of wood floors and pick a good-quality carpet that comes with a warranty. Stone benchtops are a solid choice compared to laminate.
    For the layout, an extra bedroom will likely attract more renters or buyers than a media room, especially if you’re targeting families.
    For builders, look for ones with a good reputation, reasonable pricing, and market competition. You might want to check out Waveup.
  • jassiet.ross
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by jassiet.ross » Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:41 am

Building an investment property is exciting, and it's great that you're thinking strategically about the balance between cost and appeal. For a 400m² splitter block, a double-story build is a smart choice as it maximizes your space and potentially increases rental income.