The passing of a dear friend.
  • DianaGibson90oXM
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

The passing of a dear friend.

by DianaGibson90oXM » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:28 pm

It is with great regret that I report the death of Malcolm McGregor, a tremendous supporter of the SRGC over many years and a wonderful Editor of the Rock Garden for many years, bringing a new vigour to the publication. Malcolm will be fondly missed by his many friends and his family of course - but also by at least three major plant organisations. Malcolm's favourite plants were saxifrages and he wrote the definitive book on these plants. He was also much involved with the Saxifraga Society, as their Editor and also serving as their President at the time of his death. Also a long time member of NARGS, he also served as the Editor of the NARGS Bulletin for some years, breathing new life into it when that was so badly needed.
    Malcolm travelled widely in many countries, he wrote, he gave talks, he even lead tours - he was a real live-wire and great company.
    His family and beloved wife Monica will be bereft without him - as will his many friends and admirers and I am sure many will join me in sending them our deepest sympathy.

We send condolences to Monica, their sons and wider family - we can feel your sorrow in Malcolm's loss and join in missing him.

• HisinPirso
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: The passing of a dear friend.

by HisinPirso » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:11 pm

I've heard a lot about Malcolm. To some extent, he participated in the formation of my love for plants. Once I managed to flood even cacti, and over time I fell in love with messing with more demanding plants. I remember how hard it is to lose loved ones. The more space they occupy in our hearts, the more terrible the void that remains unfilled. My emptiness was filled with new meanings by psychologists from counsellinginmelbourne.com.au and my favorite flowers. Perhaps I'll plant saxifrage in his memory.