The 21st Century Satellite Motel - a Classic Reborn...
  • MartinM
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

The 21st Century Satellite Motel - a Classic Reborn...

by MartinM » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share my project with you, and hope it is of interest. I've devoted my life to creating what you'll see:

http://www.fundable.com/the-21st-century-satellite
    https://21stcenturysatellite.com

To give a little more background on the 21st Century Satellite, including the personal side of it, check out the page I recently started on GOOD and especially the web page that compliments it:

http://www.good.is/posts/the-21st-century-satellite-motel-a-return-of-an-icon-preservation-through-creation-back-our-launch-now
    https://21stcenturysatellite.com/good/

I'm not going to mince words - I need a bit of a boost! I'd be happy to back other campaigns in some way as well, so we can hopefully all benefit.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to check out my project. Thank you. :)

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: The 21st Century Satellite Motel - a Classic Reborn...

by sbriggman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:07 am

This is a forum for Kickstarter projects. Out of curiosity why did you choose fundable over other platforms?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • MartinM
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by MartinM » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:39 am

Hello Salvador!

I apologize...I took Kickstarter in this instance as more of a generic term. Like how people often once referred to tissues as "Kleenex", whatever the brand. I understand if you need to remove my project from here, though will be happy if you'll keep it!

I chose Fundable over Kickstarter (and other crowdfunding platforms) because of several reasons:

First, Kickstarter didn't seem to match what I was doing in that they narrow the range of campaign types presented there. Aside from a couple of message I sent them, I never pursued it further.

Second, Fundable's fees are far better to my taste than any other platform I can think of. You pay a flat fee for each month the campaign runs and they don't charge a % of what you raise. Only the fees for payment processing.

Third, they use WePay instead of PayPal. I read of some instances where PayPal has supposedly been fussy with releasing funds to crowdfunded projects. Whether true or not, what I read scared me off.

Fourth, Fundable seemed to have a decent amount of projects that were receiving relatively high $ amounts when I was surveying the various options. Outside of the big two, many of the platform sites seem to be having trouble attracting people to them, outside of very small campaigns.

Lastly, Teran at Fundable has been very helpful and nice to me. That goes a long way. Kickstarter by comparison felt very corporate once I had to dig deeper than what the public typically uses. Questions went to a help desk, through a process, etc. I understand the need for it, given how successful they are, though I prefer a more personal touch if possible. Kickstarter also seems to leave a bit of a "take it or leave it" attitude to me.

So while my campaign right now is very slow (though the feedback privately has been extremely positive), I'm very happy with Fundable.

Martin
    CrowdFund Genius
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by CrowdFund Genius » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 pm

I reviewed your campaign, its a bit confusing as to what exactly your raising funds for. At least it was for me when looking over your campaign. Are you renovating a hotel? Building a hotel? Also post yourself in the video, or do an update with a new video and your in it. Do a walk around the hotel or space, and show where things will go and what you will do.

The problem your going to get with fundable verse Kickstarter or Indiegogo is credibility. Some of the more popular projects on fundable you have to ask yourself, how big is their social media following? How big is their email lists? How big is your social media following or email lists? Its not impossible to raise money without these it does make it harder and more challenging.

Do you have any media? news? can you generate buzz about your project? Is the hotel on the water? In the damage zone from Sandy? Your route should be media, contact local newspapers, television stations, let them know what your doing and how your trying to save or build an iconic piece of architecture for the state of New Jersey.

Launch a FB page, and rally support by handing out brochures in the neighborhood, host a pancake day or something at the hotel to bring people in and show them what you want to do.

Good luck!

CrowdFund Genius
    For more tips and Crowdfunding info check us out on Twitter @CrowdFundGenius and Like us on Facebook http://bit.ly/1kdAzSQ