Post Reply 86 posts
Squatch Kick - Looking for a Bigger Kick?
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Squatch Kick - Looking for a Bigger Kick?

by Charles » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:40 am

Charles wrote:
    If there's something on the site that you particularly like or dislike, let me know what it is.

Thank you for your interest!

Hi Charles,

I have checked out the site a few times and made comments on your articles and that is the area I want to mention.

I write a post, then when I try to post it takes me to some options for logging in - I log in with my Google account and the post disappears and I have to re-enter - damn annoying!!

But that is not my request - can you add a Disqus button - as per Sal's and other sites that I use - I then get notifications of ongoing discussions.

Cheers.

Andy
    5.JPG
    5.JPG (26.51 KiB) Viewed 889 times
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:41 pm

Andy_Sinclair wrote:
    Charles wrote:
    If there's something on the site that you particularly like or dislike, let me know what it is.

Thank you for your interest!

Hi Charles,

I have checked out the site a few times and made comments on your articles and that is the area I want to mention.

I write a post, then when I try to post it takes me to some options for logging in - I log in with my Google account and the post disappears and I have to re-enter - damn annoying!!

But that is not my request - can you add a Disqus button - as per Sal's and other sites that I use - I then get notifications of ongoing discussions.

Cheers.

Andy
    5.JPG

I can try, Andy. I do know, though, that at least a couple of your comments on the site have posted. Just scroll down.

http://www.kickstarterforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2978&p=15100&e=15100

http://squatchkick.blogspot.com/2014/09/crowd-funding-tip-4-avoid-ambulance.html
    Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Charles wrote:

I can try, Andy. I do know, though, that at least a couple of your comments on the site have posted. Just scroll down.

I know, but I retyped then once I was logged in

Cheers,

Andy
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Andy_Sinclair wrote:But that is not my request - can you add a Disqus button - as per Sal's and other sites that I use - I then get notifications of ongoing discussions.

Well, I tried to add a Discus button, Andy. The comments seemed to have been imported, but I don't see the actual Discus button.
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:44 pm

BumptoBaby wrote:Hello Charles,

I have followed your posts with interest and I wanted to reply because I can see that you are clearly passionate about helping the community and I really enjoy that about your posts. It can be hard vying for attention in this crowded crowd funded world and I appreciate the space on the web you've dedicated to make creators feel a little special! :P

So I thought I would give back a little by commenting on your last comprehensive post, plus I enjoy these things too and Kickstarter engaged me long before I created my first project. So I am in the "newbie" category, super keen and curious about the journey ahead.

Let me say you've done an amazing job on the site so far! Congrats! :mrgreen:

Well, I don't know about an amazing job, Jen, but I appreciate the sentiment, just the same. I know very little about editing blog templates, so it's an ongoing struggle for me to try and even get the layout of the site as I want it to be.

There are so many Kickstarter projects, that it's only realistic for me to focus upon a relative handful of them. The biggest issue for Kickstarter project creators is probably a networking issue. Many of them have no real network, be it social media network or any other kind of network with other people, to utilize as a foundational base of support to get their projects launched with momentum right from the get-go.

Honestly, I don't know that there's much that I can do in that area, and certainly at the beginning of the Squatch Kick website's existence. How do I transform the Squatch Kick site into the equivalent of a network on the fly for individual project creators? After all, what they need are ways to get a crowd, and to get one quickly. They need force multipliers, for their crowd growing efforts.

BumptoBaby wrote:Squatch Kick articles are really great to read and I can imagine the creators being chuffed being featured this way. It is uniquely you and it's great content for your site.

And what about them makes them great to read? How does an article about somebody else's project help you or some other project creator, though? Until and unless the site begins to generate sizable visitor traffic, the amount of people that get exposed to Squatch Kick or other articles on the site will remain fairly low, I imagine.

BumptoBaby wrote:Making Tracks - great idea to feature one or two particular parts of a project, it would also give insight to other creators about how to go about their projects. I am a bit of a self confessed perfectionist so I personally would enjoy hearing about others who notice the details. You could also opt for some interactivity from the creator, and get them to answer a simple question about the featured part of their project.

I might do that, as far as opting for interactivity with the project creators, for a Making Tracks series, going forward.

BumptoBaby wrote:Squatch Sighting - this could be done in a single post, almost like a tweet, where you link to what you found and how you got there. Also, a good way to keep records (which is something I enjoy hehe)

I might do this. It would allow the site's content base to grow more rapidly.

BumptoBaby wrote:Squatch Hunter - I think that could be an interview style post, with questions about what keeps them going? Their top tips? Any surprises, any memorable pieces of advice or remarkable backers who helped with the project. etc

This one, I'm still uncertain about. I just don't know what I want to do with that category.

BumptoBaby wrote:Squatch Attack - this might be something pre-launch people are seeking before launching. Lots of people could learn from this and your focus group would be mainly for creators. I know I looked for some advice before I launched however I got a bit impatient and went ahead and launched anyway. Perhaps this could be a regular fortnightly spotlight as an opportunity for people to learn about it, if you could get a panel of people with experience to comment too, that would be invaluable for some people. You could have a review template that addresses different aspects of the project, e.g. target market, video, images, story behind the project etc etc

It would require some way of preserving the site, as I saw it, for the benefit of future readers. I could do a screen capture, I suppose. I say that, because if the project creators them implement changes, somebody that comes along after the fact might not make sense of what was versus what is now.

BumptoBaby wrote:I hope this was useful, and thank you for the time you put into your site :)

Jen

It is useful, Jen. I don't always respond to every posting on forums that i am on. But, that doesn't mean that the postings aren't useful.

There are lots of people with crowd funding projects, and my focus for the Squatch kick site has been on Kickstarter projects. Yet, how should the site showcase various projects? How many is a realistic number to showcase, and do I preserve the projects that have had an image link on the Squatch Kick site, for example? Or would that even matter, over the long run?

Should I spotlight only projects that I like and am attracted to? What about projects that have no "squatch?" Do I ignore those projects? Should it be only a showcase of the best sites? Or the best pieces of any site? Even still, what about the projects that have little to nothing going for them? Sure, I could do a Squatch Attack on them, but how would that get initiated? By me? By project creators that contact me?

You're a project creator - What do you need? What did you need, when you first created your project? How does the Squatch Kick site make it easier for new project creators to find whatever info that I put up on the site?

As far as the info that does make it on the site, what is the best way to compile it, to make it easier for project creators? How do I make it easier for project creators to find the info that they need?
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Squatch Kick is now on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/SquatchKick

Maybe I can use it to do some brief quips about various Kickstarter projects. We'll have to see how it works out.

As if I needed yet another mechanism to gobble up more time!

I'm also hoping to get some artwork for the site done, before too much longer.
    Last edited by Charles on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Andy_Sinclair

by Andy_Sinclair » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Charles wrote:Squatch Kick is now on Facebook!

[size=200][url]https://www.facebook.com/SquatchKick[[/url]/size]

Maybe I can use it to do some brief quips about various Kickstarter projects. We'll have to see how it works out.

As if I needed yet another mechanism to gobble up more time!

I'm also hoping to get some artwork for the site done, before too much longer.

What? No Twitter to eat up more of your time :shock:
  • Jeremy Duff
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Jeremy Duff » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:31 am

Hey Charles,

This blog looks great, consider changing the website .favicon from the default blogger on though to increase your authority/legitimacy ;) Your twitter link also goes to your website, not twitter, a few of your social links actually do this.

I will bookmark your site and share it with my friends, as there might be a good tip or two in there for me to apply to my campaign.

Heres my project :)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ar ... rage-sandw
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:36 am

Jeremy Duff wrote:Hey Charles,

This blog looks great, consider changing the website .favicon from the default blogger on though to increase your authority/legitimacy ;) Your twitter link also goes to your website, not twitter, a few of your social links actually do this.

I will bookmark your site and share it with my friends, as there might be a good tip or two in there for me to apply to my campaign.

Heres my project :)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ar ... rage-sandw

Hi Jeremy,

Glad to hear that someone likes the blog. There's still not much content on it, but content always takes time to accumulate.

Various social media links at the top were part of the template, when I started using it. I went in, just now, and removed all of the ones that I don't use (such as Twitter, Instagram, etc.). See if that's not better, when you get a chance. The default links use the blog home page as the default link. But, it was simply a matter of tracking the items down in the template and removing them.

I'll check out your project, also. Thanks for including a link to it.
Post Reply 86 posts