Spirit of Sail - Multiplayer Tactical RPG [PC]
  • JonFlintlock
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Spirit of Sail - Multiplayer Tactical RPG [PC]

by JonFlintlock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:22 pm

Hey folks, My name is Jon Hughes and I'm half of Flintlock Studios, an independent games developer working on our first game Spirit of Sail. We launched our Kickstarter campaign in order to raise the funds needed to progress development further than is currently possible with our current set up. Before I start rambling, a little bit of information on our project:

A multiplayer RPG set in the Caribbean during the age of sail. Explore, Pirate, Trade or Fight your way to renown and riches!

"Have you ever wanted to play a sailing game where real world locations are accurately modelled and combat is tactical and visceral? Where character development is expansive and directly tied to success or failure? Do you not want a game with giant squid, zombie pirates and superhuman characters running rampant? If that's the case then Spirit of Sail is for you."

Kickstarter Trailer link

Development screens link

N.B the above screens and video are taken from very early pre-alpha, the textures aren't finished, nor is the water. They merely exist to allow people to get a feel for the game setting.

Introduction
    Flintlock Studios, an Indie Game Development team with the philosophy that very small teams (ours has 2 devs) can create huge games using the Unity engine and the community content available through the Unity Asset Store. We recently launched our Kickstarter and we're working towards getting a premises and the hardware and software needed to develop the game further. We're currently planning on a PC and Linux release with a Mac OS release to follow if there is enough demand. We're very, very much in a pre-Alpha state at the moment, we are however making steady progress towards a playable tech demo.

What is Spirit of Sail?
    At its core Spirit of Sail is being designed to transport the player back nearly three hundred years to the mid 18th Century Caribbean.​​ This is a world of merchant entrepreneurs, intrepid explorers and ruthless pirates.

It's also a realistic game, with simulation levels of sailing and ship to ship combat, deep interactions between the player and non player characters, a detailed trading economy and beautifully depicted island settings.

It's a rich setting full of possibilities for adventure and intrigue, player driven politics and factional warfare​​​ where your decisions matter and your actions directly affect the world around you.

For more information check out the Overview and Encyclopaedia pages at www.spiritofsail.net

We seem to be having massive difficulty in generating an feedback, positive or negative about our campaign and game. I've contacted over 20 indie gaming blogs with no reply, signed up with Kick it forward (Amazing idea and website) and tried starting discussions on numerous gaming forums some of which I've been a long term contributor for. I would like to ask if anybody here could go over the Kickstarter and perhaps provide feedback as to where we're going wrong? Is it that the game is too niche? or is the presentation bad? does the concept just suck? something else entirely? We're both at a bit of a loose end. Any and all feedback would be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Jon

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Spirit of Sail - Multiplayer Tactical RPG [PC]

by sbriggman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:20 pm

With regards to the video, I would recommend featuring yourself in it to talk about why you made the game and provide more information about the rewards and who you all are.

With regards to generating feedback, in my experience, it's no different than forming a normal relationship. You must give before you can expect to receive. Kudos on your involvement in the gaming forum.

On the subject of contacting journalists, have you tried having some kind of interaction before you email them or do you do a cold email?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.