Second attempt at kickstarter
  • Roy Havenstone
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Second attempt at kickstarter

by Roy Havenstone » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello, my name is Andrew Hally and I'm part of a new indie game company that's looking to get their first game funded on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/39 ... sual-novel

It's called Wingdaria Destiny, and it's an adventure/romance visual novel, or choose-your-own adventure game, to be sold on steam for Windows, Mac and Linux.

We tried raising money last year, but the campaign was unsuccessful: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/39 ... ia-destiny

We have expanded our demo this time around, and have received positive feedback for it. But over a week has passed, and coverage of our campaign on the web and social media, along with funding, has slowed considerably. Any advice you could give us to get our name out there and/or to get funding would therefore be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

All the best,
    Andrew Hally
    Last edited by Roy Havenstone on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therriaultk
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Second attempt at kickstarter - struggling for backers

by therriaultk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:19 am

Hi Andrew!

Congrats on your progress so far, and for not giving up! It's always nice to see creators come back to Kickstarter determined to get it right.

I took a look at the Kickstarter page and it seems good, though I felt like the video could have introduced the team or summarized the plot a bit better.

I love that you offer a preview of the story, do you get information on how many people click on that?

In terms of suàggestions, I was just wondering if you've heard of http://www.gaiaonline.com/ ? Their one of the Internet's largest forum communities and they're into RPGs and anime. Just thinking you might find some potential backers there!

Hope things turn around for you. :)
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:43 am

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:24 pm

A few thoughts.

1. It seems like there are a lot of people involved in this project from the list of people who have contributed, like voice actors. Is each person reaching out to their network?

2. What do people like MOST about the project? The artwork? Story?

3. How have you been marketing it so far. I don't see any email signup form on your website. Email is a big driver of pledges.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Roy Havenstone
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Roy Havenstone » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:49 pm

sbriggman wrote:A few thoughts.

1. It seems like there are a lot of people involved in this project from the list of people who have contributed, like voice actors. Is each person reaching out to their network?

Various cast members have been reaching out to their communities, such as tweeting about the KS and making youtube videos advertising the campaign.

sbriggman wrote:2. What do people like MOST about the project? The artwork? Story?

The features that have received the most positive feedback are the production values, specifically and artwork and music. The inclusion of voice acting and the medieval fantasy setting, uncommon for visual novels, has also been commented on.

sbriggman wrote:3. How have you been marketing it so far. I don't see any email signup form on your website. Email is a big driver of pledges.

We've been reaching out to Visual Novel forums, gaming websites, Youtube Let's Players and other indie devs on kickstarter, but my emails to that last group were regarded as unsolicited promotion and therefore spam. We got an abundant amount of feedback when we posted the campaign on the the Visual Novels Sub-Reddit.
  • Roy Havenstone
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Roy Havenstone » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:52 pm

therriaultk wrote:I love that you offer a preview of the story, do you get information on how many people click on that?

If you are referring to the demo, then I'm not sure how many times it has been downloaded on mediafire, but on the other site you can download the demo, softpedia, it has only been download twice in the spam of a week.

Thank you for your comments about the video as well, I'll be sure to take that into consideration.