Puppies on airplanes
    SsCoobyDoO
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Puppies on airplanes

by SsCoobyDoO » Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:08 am

First time poster. Long time multiple Lab owner. Would like to know if anyone has experience flying a new puppy home with them in-cabin. Its a United non-stop flight of about 4 hrs. Puppies apparently need to be in a hard or soft carrier (17.5"x12"x7.5"). So......1) Will they fit in a carrier underneath the seat; 2) Which carrier is best?; 3) Would you medicate an 8-9 week old pup to temper the stress of the flight?; 4) Besides having water and chews available, any special considerations?; 5) From a highly reputable breeder and excellent OFA/pedigree line, this will be a therapy dog....does that add anything to the mix? 6) Hows United?

Driving distance is about 2,000 miles so 3-4 solid days travel with stops. I've flown older dogs in cargo and won't do that again! Thanks for your help.....

• MarissaMcconnell
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Puppies on airplanes

by MarissaMcconnell » Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:27 am

Taking pups/dogs "in-cabin" seem the allowed by 7-8 carriers although the restrictions vary. One of my friends who is a lab breeder sent me a picture (which I apparently can't upload) of a 8-9 week old lab pup on an American Airlines flight. Had to laugh at the little nose sticking out of the bag! The next debate is whether flying is better for a young pup than driving 3-4 days (even with two travelers, one always comforting & overseeing the pup in the back of a mini van with seats out and bedding down). Cheers. Phil
  • JasonMills
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JasonMills » Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:32 am

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend giving any medication to a young puppy before a flight. It can sometimes cause problems, so it’s usually best to let them travel naturally. Bringing along a blanket with a familiar scent and a few chews can help keep them calm during the trip.
    If you’re thinking about more trips and want to know about flying with pets or finding cheap business class flights, checking this website for the latest deals is always a good idea.
  • jassiet.ross
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by jassiet.ross » Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:48 am

For your United flight, a carrier with dimensions 17.5"x12"x7.5" should fit under the seat. Soft-sided carriers like those from Sherpa or Sleepypod are usually best. It’s generally best to avoid medication for such a young pup unless advised by your vet. Make sure to bring water, chews, and a comfort item like a blanket. Since your puppy will be a therapy dog, starting with positive experiences will be helpful, but it doesn’t change the flight process much. United Airlines generally handles in-cabin pets well, but double-check their specific pet policy to be sure.