Pathways: A Unique Science Fiction Novel
  • nealakasaka
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Pathways: A Unique Science Fiction Novel

by nealakasaka » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:39 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Neal Akasaka, and I have been writing a science fiction story, called Pathways, for many years now. I have finally reached the point where the manuscript is complete, and I am about to have the story professionally edited. To that end, I've launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the editing as well as a limited publishing run that will give backers a chance to obtain physical copies, both paperback and hardcover, of the book. So far, we have been able to raise 32% of the funds, but that still leaves a ways to go, and I am hoping to find some enthusiasts of good science fiction on these forums :-)

Pathways is an original science fiction story about a young boy named Noren who discovers a relic of a lost technology that changes his world forever. He lives in a small town that lies along the trade roads that has fallen upon hard times. With no family of his own, he helps an aging shopkeeper run his shop and helps out with repairs and other menial tasks. One morning, as Noren is on an errand, he makes a discovery which sets events into motion that propel him on a quest to distant places, and over the course of his journey, he uncovers an insidious plot that has been laid out against him from long before he was born, and unlocks abilities that will alter the course of his life and those he cares for in ways he isn't prepared for.

I have made the first chapter available for download on my website, which you can access via my Kickstarter campaign page, which will help give you an idea of my style of writing. I am incredibly happy to be at this point, and I look forward to making this exciting journey together :-)

My Kickstarter is accessible via the link below:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1277623947/pathways-science-fiction-novel

Please feel free to contact me about anything, at any point! I love hearing from people, and welcome any kind of responses or feedback.

Thank you so much in advance for your time,
    Neal
    Last edited by nealakasaka on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• nealakasaka
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Pathways: A Unique Science Fiction Novel

by nealakasaka » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:53 am

Or feel free to refer me along to other books or book-related projects, as I am an avid reader :D
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks for sharing!
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • nealakasaka
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by nealakasaka » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Thank you for the response, and also for creating a place like this where people can share their projects and connect with other like-minded individuals!
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:11 pm

Almost at the halfway point!
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • nealakasaka
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by nealakasaka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Yeah we are! Thanks for following along, that means a lot :D

Hoping the second half goes as well as the first!
  • frankreiley
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by frankreiley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:47 am

Great innovative twist on science fiction novels! Godspeed!
  • nealakasaka
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by nealakasaka » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for the compliment, Frank! :)

And thanks for wishing me well! Glad to know you like the concept.
  • Mr. YouthWriter
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Mr. YouthWriter » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 am

It sounds interesting! I noticed you use Noren's name a lot, which tends to throw me off while reading it, but perhaps that's just me. As a fellow writer, I understand your plight; I'm also only 17, so people tend to not take me seriously. I, unfortunately, am so tight on the monies I cannot contribute directly, but would love to contribute indirectly. Retweeting, sharing, shout outs on my YouTube channel; whatever can be done to help get more quality literature out there. Hope it succeeds and just let me know what I can do!
    Like books? Me too! That's why me, a 17 year old writer, successfully raised money for my first book on Kickstarter. Go ahead and check out the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arkstorm/legend-land-a-novel-by-noah-barfield
  • nealakasaka
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by nealakasaka » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Thank you for commenting on my post! :)

I read through my first chapter once again, and you have a good point! I actually made a bunch of edits to reduce the redundancy of using Noren's name :) I really wanted to thank you for taking the time to point this out! I checked out your website and your Kickstarter too. I think it's pretty incredible that you are so far along in your writing career. I backed your Kickstarter too, just so you know :D

I would appreciate it if you could share word of my book and Kickstarter with anyone you think might be interested! Thanks again for taking the time to comment :)