Outlet wiring issue
    SsCoobyDoO
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Outlet wiring issue

by SsCoobyDoO » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:19 am

Having some wiring questions and I'm hoping the broader community can help.

I have an old outlet that I want to replace as well as connect a new outlet too on the same line. There is a light switch that turns on the ceiling light, but does not affect the power in the current old outlet. My assumption is that the red wire on the neutral side is using the wrong color wire and should be white, but just wanted to double check. Images attached.

Old Outlet to New Outlet #1
    This outlet has 1 black/1 red on the hot side. 1 white/1 red on the neutral side with no ground wire.
    1. Should I treat the red wire on the neutral side as neutral? If so, should I just transfer the wire sequence as-is onto the newer outlet?

New Outlet #2
    I've already installed a 2nd new outlet and have ran the wire (Romex 12/2) ready to connect with outlet #1.
    1. My assumption is to pigtail the black to black, white to white/red neutral, leaving a ground to connect to ??

Any details or a simple drawing would be helpful.

Thanks.
    Peter

• MarissaMcconnell
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Outlet wiring issue

by MarissaMcconnell » Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:27 pm

Is that outlet switched ? Hard to tell but it looks like R&B on that outlet B may be live and R is switched, what does the R on the neutral connect to?
    Geo🇺🇸
  • JasonMills
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Outlet wiring issue

by JasonMills » Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:37 pm

If that red wire is on the neutral side, it’s probably acting as the neutral, but it’s a good idea to test it first just to be sure. When you’re hooking up the new outlet, pigtailing the black wires together and the white and white/red wires together should work fine.
    If you’re not totally sure about the wiring, especially with an older setup, it might be best to call in a pro. I’ve heard good things about these guys in Ottawa: https://kanatautilitiesltd.ca/high-voltage-contractor-ottawa/. They can help you get it sorted out safely.