Online Race Driving League
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Online Race Driving League

by theordl » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to the whole crowd funding scene and thought I would drop by to let you know about our new project. We have launched via Kickstarter and would love to have your support for the project, whether it be a donation or by passing on our details.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1204668318/online-race-driving-league

We at the ORDL are very passionate about sim racing, we enjoy creating our events and watching our community grow. We have worked so hard to get our league where it is in only 6 months and we are really excited about what the future may hold. You may visit our website at [url="www.ordl.co.uk"]www.ordl.co.uk[/url].

I am a little nervous about the project, as I said I have never done anything like this before so it would be great to get your feedback. This project is the first step to creating a comprehensive sim racing package.

Once we have hardware in place and we implement the features described in our proposal then we can look to our next project, a complete sim racing cockpit. We are currently designing the prototype frame and have a working model being used to provide feedback about the design and setup in use.

We hope you will let potential backers know about the ORDL, we truly believe in what we wish to achieve and will not stop working until we reach our goals!

Here are some picture from last nights race against Powerhouse Racing Team:

We have great rewards for our backers including ORDL mugs and T-Shirts:

Thanks for taking the time to see what we wish to achieve, please contact me if you have any questions about the Kickstarter project.

Kris Butterill

http://www.ordl.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/TheORDL

• theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Online Race Driving League

by theordl » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:01 pm

We have updated our project and have great new rewards for our backers!
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by theordl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:23 am

We would.love to hear your views and get feedback on the league. Come on, we dont bite! How about joining us for some great racing!
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by theordl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 am

ORDL currently lead Powerhouse Racing Team in our latest event. Our next race is only a few days away, please head over to our website for the latest news and to see the current standings! http://www.ordl.co.uk
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by theordl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Follow us on Twitter for the latest news on the ORDL and news from motorsport events all over the world! @theordl
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Hey Theordl- Would recommend offering rewards that will involve the backers more in the project you are raising funds for and pricing them accordingly. 30 pounds (more american) for a mug and two stickers is a little pricey.

"Creating Rewards

Rewards are what backers receive in exchange for pledging to a project. The importance of creative, tangible, and fairly priced rewards cannot be overstated. Projects whose rewards are overpriced or uninspired struggle to find support.

Deciding what to offer

Every project’s primary rewards should be things made by the project itself. If the project is to record a new album, then rewards should include a copy of the CD when it’s finished. Rewards ensure that backers will benefit from a project just as much as its creator (i.e., they get cool stuff that they helped make possible!).

There are four common reward types that we see on Kickstarter:

Copies of the thing: the album, the DVD, a print from the show. These items should be priced what they would cost in a retail environment.
    Creative collaborations: a backer appears as a hero in the comic, everyone gets painted into the mural, two backers do the handclaps for track 3.
    Creative experiences: a visit to the set, a phone call from the author, dinner with the cast, a concert in your backyard.
    Creative mementos: Polaroids sent from location, thanks in the credits, meaningful tokens that tell a story.
    Deciding how to price

Kickstarter isn’t charity: we champion exchanges that are a mix of commerce and patronage, and the numbers bear this out. To date the most popular pledge amount is $25 and the average pledge is around $70. Small amounts are where it’s at: projects without a reward of $20 or less succeed 28% of the time, while projects with a reward of $20 or less succeed 45% of the time.

So what works? Offering something of value. Actual value considers more than just sticker price. If it’s a limited edition or a one-of-a-kind experience, there’s a lot of flexibility based on your audience. But if it’s a manufactured good, then it’s a good idea to stay reasonably close to its real-world cost.

There is no magic bullet, and we encourage every project to be as creative and true to itself as possible. Put yourself in your backers’ shoes: would you drop the cash on your rewards? The answer to that question will tell you a lot about your project’s potential."
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by theordl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated. I have reviewed our rewards package and adjusted accordingly and I will be persuing other rewards that we may be able to offer. Would you mind having another look over the project to see if there is anyrhing else we can do to make this a success.

Kris
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by theordl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:42 pm

Here is a little more information on what we have to offer, enjoy!

The Online Race Driving League is here to provide a complete racing experience on Playstation and Gran Turismo.

So what makes online sim racing so special?

Feel the pressure as the lights turn green, get a good start and beat the competition into the first corner....

You know the guy behind is quicker than you, he cant get past and there is only half a lap to go! Can you hold your nerve and make it to the finish line....

170 mph, 10 inches from the guy in front, miss your braking point and the race is over for both of you. Will he brake early? What line will he take? You want to beat him but have to trust him too....

There is no better feeling than crossing the line, relieved and proud of your performance with sweat running down your palms and the knowledge you beat them all.....

Its the feeling inside that comes from the preparation, focus, determination and precision that makes sim racing so special. The feeling of achievement and satisfaction from knowing you put everything into your performance and getting the result you deserve!

The ORDL formed in February 2013 and is run by a team of 4 experienced sim racing enthusiasts from across Europe, we have 1000s of hours race experience and great knowledge of various racing formats and the vehicles that take part.

We started as a simple thread at GTPlanet, the worlds biggest and most comprehensive Gran Turismo forum. We quickly realised we needed more for what we have to offer and funded and designed our own website.

Our members register with us to take part in team and individual Championships, Time Trials, Special Events, Endurance racing and much more.

We have our own racing team that offers drivers the chance to represent the ORDL against other clubs and leagues and we are currently in the middle of an event against Powerhouse Racing Team. Only the very best drivers are selected to represent the team and we pride ourselves on our performances.

We hold in-house themed photo competitions, have our own shop, our own Youtube Channel and much more. For a complete race league home, look no further! We offer our league free and and any profit we make is put into covering the running costs we incur.

We love to hear back from our members and have the following feedback from them, it is very encouraging to hear such kind comments and makes all the hard work worthwhile;

"Im really looking forward to racing with guys from abroad getting to experience what i think might be a different level of racing. see you on the track! " - Lawasema

"Very glad I found you guys as I feel that those that are running the show here, are very professional, your guys work ethic is immense to try make this the best ever online league. Well done to all, and I really hope this grows big time." - Driver101

"Hi Guys, Thanks to all for the epic racing in the knock out cup. Super close clean racing, brilliant. Well I am still very new to ORDL, and as I have mentioned in previous posts, I think there is a very high level of professionalism in the way things are here, from the site, to twitter etc etc. I really do see the full potential this has to offer." - Driver101

"Big thanks to Edwardovic and the rest of the Team for building this Club into its present state, didn`t get to know Ed as only been here a short while, but I'm sure he will be missed by the remaining Admin especially, its a time consuming and sometimes thankless task." - Starion555

"Personally I'd like to thank Evo and all the admin for all they do to run this league. I try to enter as many races as I can to make all the hard work they do worthwhile, for me and for them. Who knows, maybe one day I might win a race!! This kind of racing is great in my opinion. I'm 50 next year! So I can remember the first racing games in the arcades and on consoles. It's come a long way believe me! Evo sold me his old rig and it's amazing, like having my own arcade machine in my spare bedroom! So thanks to them for all they do and let's all support it as much as we can. I'll be buying a mug and calendar and probably a tee shirt. So let's make this a success because that's what it deserves." - Gray_999

So we are here today to ask for your support, but why would you support our project?

We love building a close knit community of people from all over the world who now regard each other as special friends, something we can all relate to in one way or another. Friendships and bonds are very special and we pride ourselves on being respectable and easy to approach.

We provide a league for people who cant afford to race for real, simulators such as Gran Turismo replicate real racing so closely now that even professional drivers are using these titles to fine tune their skills.

We provide a form of escape from everyday life, something people can focus on and use to relax from the strains of everyday life.

Our league is fun, everyone loves to have fun in various guises and sim racing is no different. By providing a reliable, reputable league we can ensure all our members can enjoy racing.

We offer more than just racing, a place for people to show off their photographic skill in our monthly competitions.

We have a comprehensive website covering all aspects of league racing including a drivers league table that shows who is on form.

We have so much to offer and suggest you visit the website to see just what we provide, there is simply too much to list!

What makes us so good at what we do?

Well we know what sim racers want from a league, our approach and feedback prove that! But the most important aspect is are we any good at racing?

Well, yes, each year Sony and Nissan host a competition called GT Academy, a process of taking sim racers and turning them into professional racing drivers. We have members of the ORDL that compete each year and finish the competition with respectable results.

Personally I finished 126th in 2012 and 277th in 2013, does not sound too impressive until you learn that over 1,400,00 entered in 2013 alone. By finishing within the top 300 in region this year equates to well within the top 1% of all entrants.

This is replicated by our members in regions all over the world and we even have members reaching national finals by finishing within the top 16 places.

As you can probably tell, we are very passionate about what we have created and provide. We work very hard to achieve our goals and this project is no exception.

We are looking for kind people to back our project so that we can offer even more to the sim racing community. We would like to acquire new hardware as we are restricted by our current specification as to what we can provide. By making a donation and achieving our target we would like to provide the following:

Tutorial videos on racing techniques for new racers
      Video replays of each race we hold (We have 60-80 replays ready to upload)
      Create adverts to expose the league further
      Look at expanding to PC racing alongside Playstation
      Continue to provide new content via our website
      Look towards our next project, a sim racing frame complete with hardware for enthusiasts to purchase and start racing.
      Live streaming of our races for all enthusiasts to see
    These are, we feel the primary areas we can improve on and while there are more, these are what we wish to focus on as we establish into 2014.

The next few months will see the release of the next installment of the Gran Turismo series and also the release of Playstation 4. We anticipate more people will take up sim racing and we will see more people wanting a league to race for. We would love to welcome more racers and will do our very best to make them feel welcome.

We are not asking for a life changing amount of money, just enough to enable us to carry on the hard work that has been put into creating a highly successful racing league. We are so, so passionate about what we do and we appreciate not everybody will understand sim racing.

I am confident we can reach our goals and I have personally recently invested in new, high capacity broadband ready to meet the needs of our members. With your support we can implement changes quickly so that all sim racers will benefit.

We have so many great ideas (Top Secret at the moment due to spies!) and our vision for the future is to become one of the most respected, reliable and fun leagues for Gran Turismo. We are slowly gaining that reputation and respect from other leagues and gamers from around the world. We simply want to continue and feel we can achieve our goals.

We currently have support from GamePOD, a sim racing frame manufacturer who offer us exclusive discounts on GT1 and GT2 models.

GSM Performance currently supply us with discounted Cobra seats for our racing rig prototype and also supply bucket seats for us to sell in our shop. We can offer custom embroidery for each and every member of the ORDL.

We will be promoting our fund raising efforts via all our media channels such as Twitter and Facebook, forums and websites we use to reach our target amount.

Our Twitter account assists us in promoting the the league, delivering the latest news on events and also for us to share news from the world of motorsport with our followers. Despite only launching recently we are getting great feedback.

Our Facebook page, maintained through my personal account again provides us a way to reach thousands of people. We want to expand to other media channels such as Google and will look at these options in the near future.

Our youtube channel, ORDLTV, is still in development. As I have mentioned our hardware is currently unsuitable for providing content in full HD and is one of the many reasons we are here to ask for your help in funding new hardware.

I again apologise for the quality of the video we have uploaded, we hope you can now see the reasons why we are asking for your help.

Dont forget we have T-shirts, mugs, stickers and exclusive limited edition items for you as a reward for supporting the league! We can add you name and favourite number to the t-shirts on request!

Thank you for your time and we hope you decide to back our cause so that we can continue offering excellent service and exciting race events to all our members.

Kris Butterill
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by theordl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:57 pm

We have great new rewards for all to enjoy starting at just £5. Please support our worthy project and help us achieve our goals!
  • theordl
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by theordl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Please let us know your thoughts, we appreciate your feedback and comments. We really want to suceed in reaching our target and will take onboard your advice.